From:
Tressie Dutchyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2007 11:01:59 -0400
Oh my what an unfortunate backlash! Just wondering if those asking
for a detailed accounting of the expenses involved in the Ohio Rescue
volunteered to assist in the rescue or if they have adopted one of
the rescues?? Or if they did donate funds, has this bankrupt you?

My view is that we owe Lori and all the volunteers a huge debt for
managing this effort at all. To suggest that someone is "being had" is
so far into the stratosphere of ludicrous that it should not warrant a
response, polite or otherwise.

What matters if the monies spent amount to $33,000.00 or to
$330,000.00? The fact remains that someone was there to rescue these
animals and someone didn't ask first, "What's it going to cost before
I do this?"

To demand such a detailed accounting is to slap the face of all those
who did extend their efforts. As far as I can tell most shelters are
run on a shoestring that requires endless fundraising. The people who
set up ferret shelters for the most part do so because of their love
of the animal not because they want to set up a successful business.

A shelter is a non-profit organization, non-profit implies
not-in-it-for-the-money. The for profit sector is what the McKay's of
the world are into. They are the ones who need accounting not rescues
or shelters.

I just traveled over a thousand miles this past weekend to adopt one of
the Ohio rescues -- at my own expense. And I don't begrudge one penny
that it cost me.

I believe Lori and her team of volunteers deserve to be commended for
what they did. I am grateful that there are people like her in the
world. I am saddened that she will no doubt lose sleep over the fact
that such a criticism has been levied and that a ridiculous demand for
a minutiae of monies is being demanded.

For those who have made the demands -- I say take your unwarranted
criticism elsewhere, its not welcome nor needed.

To Lori and all who assisted, many thanks to you and don't allow a few
miserly individuals to spoil the good deed you did for the rest of us
who sincerely appreciate your actions. For the rest, let's help her out
any way we can.

Respectfully,
Tressie