From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 1995 20:39:40 -0400
[Moderator's note: Please see my note a few posts below (in Sukie's
posting) concerning the Marshall Farms topic.  BIG]

that I cannot agree with his automatic assumptions that smaller breeders
would not be able to provide adequate medical care and nutrition for their
breeding animals.  As a small breeder, Bill, I am certain that you provide
care for your animals, as do I and all the other breeders I know.  I also
cannot agree with the assumption that smaller or other independent breeders
would automatically jump on the suppliers bandwagon for research animals.
The premise, that if Marshall Farms were not a massive breeding operation
for pet and research, others would do so, cannot really be considered a
valid point.  You liken Marshall Farms to a business, and this country is
free for enterprise, and so -- how come (aside from Path Valley) others
have not picked up the lucrative trail??

I would venture to say that most of us in FML land own and love our
Marshall Farm ferrets.  What I most object to in the Marshall Farm
breeding operation, is their practice of euthanizing their breeding
jills at approximately 30 months.  This is after the jills have been
bred 2 to 4 times a year.  I am sorry.  This is not much of a life for a
ferret.  And I do not think it can be defended solely on the basis of
"right of free enterprise".  The other factor, is that with the limited
life span of their breeding stock -- how can they begin to know of any
physical problems that are being passed on to the puplic since our pets
are permitted to live longer than their parents?

Marshall Farms is closed to visitors.  We are told this is because of the
danger of bringing in infection.  Most hospitals sponsor public tours for
prospective patients - particularly in sensitive areas such as labor and
delivery and infant nurseries.  Hospitals bring tours through with proper
sterile precautions -- suiting up, caps and shoe covers, and sometimes
masks.  Marshall Farms must have heard of sterilizing techniques to keep
down germs.  I am not advocating general tours -- but, hey, no one is
allowed in.  Why?

Many ferret owners and breeders are saddened each year at early losses and
illnesses that must be dealt with in their beloved Marshall Farms ferrets.
That is why many of us now aquire "home bred" ferrets from small breeders,
or breed our own.  Yes, these ferrets can have health problems too.  But
they have a better chance.  And for those of us who deal with many people
in providing information, nursing care advise, and collect data on ferret
illnesses, it is a pretty hard and often sad job.  The vast majority of
problems we are contacted about are in Marshall Farms ferrets.  I average 5
to 10 calls a day.

And it is also unfortunate but true, that our imported ferrets -- Canadian,
German, English and now Australian, are proving to be healthier and larger
animals than our American ferrets.

A right to do business - yes.  But we are dealing with animals.  They are a
little different than most market items.  I feel that they have a God given
right to be healthy.  I feel that Marshall Farms should make sure their pet
store ferrets have this God given right.      meg