From:
Rachel Summers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:37:28 -0600
Here is the letter, with all the info:

Hello all,

As you should know by now, our bill SB 89, authored by Senator Dede
Alpert, passed the Senate last year but has not come out of the Assembly
policy committee, Water, Parks and Wildlife.  In the interim, the state
of California elected a new governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, who we hope
will be more receptive to this issue.  He did tell two of our members
during his campaign that he would sign SB 89 if it made it to his desk.

But, my father and I were in Sacramento today meeting with one of the
Governor's staffers and it's clear that the Department of Fish and Game
intends to try to convince the Governor's office to oppose our bill and
they may just well do it!  So here's what you need to do and you need to
do it now, because they are very close to taking whatever position they
will on our bill.

If you live in California, sit down TODAY and write a short, one page
letter to the Governor urging him to NOT allow DFG to oppose the ferret
amnesty bill.  Tell the Governor that ferrets are a domesticated pet that
does not belong in the hands of a wildlife agency.  Tell the Governor
that ferrets are legal in the rest of the country and should not be
banned in California.  Tell him that you are aware of the 1196-97
Nationwide Ferret Survey by the Department of Fish and Game in which
all 50 states said they had no suspected or documented ferrets breeding
in the wild either now or in the past.

Write to:

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Governor's Office
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814

Please write as soon as you receive this e-mail.  To delay means we
might miss our chance and letting the Governor know how much we care.
If you don't live in California, please don't write, it's pointless.  If
you do live in California, please include your address in your letter.
Remember, just because you support this issue doesn't mean you own
ferrets.  And if you don't write, the law may never be changed.

I'm leaving tomorrow for a trip so I'll be out of touch for a couple of
weeks so if you e-mail me you won't get a reply for some time.

Please write and ask all of your friends and family to write as well.
Governer Arnold Scharzenegger
Governers Office
state Capitol
Sacremento,CA 95814