Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:08:11 -0400
I have a newfound appreciation for the prairie.  I have never really
cared for it - finding it rather flat and boring.  But, that has changed.
I now know that the prairie is home to prairie dogs, black-footed
ferrets, burrowing owls, badgers, coyotes, gazelle, hawks, the swift
fox and so many other critters I did not even know existed!

Two weeks ago I had the privilege of joining a group of men and women
from organizations such as Prairie Wildlife Research
(http://www.prairiewildlife.org), the Dept. of the Interior, World
Wildlife Fund, National Geographic, Defenders of Wildlife, a wonderful
veterinarian who shall remain nameless - and probably some others I have
forgotten - in the annual black-footed ferret (BFF) roundup in South
Dakota.  Two of the men had participated in the original roundup 20 years
ago in Meteetse, WY.  It was such a wonderful opportunity to be there.

This big push was to count the new kits, microchip them and vaccinate
them.  Older ferrets were also checked out and vaccinated.  (What a
thrill it was to capture two females first seen in 2001!  Usually they
only live 2 - 3 years!) Normally there are numerous people there to help
out, as the Forest Service will participate.  This year, however, the
numbers were down.  In fact, the day I left for home, the number dwindled
to 4.  That left 3 to help round them up and the vet alone to do the
work and the record keeping.  Why so few?  Well, the Forest Service was
preparing to start poisoning the perimeter to rid the place of some
prairie dogs.  And, as Travis Livieri said, sometimes that's all you get.

The prairie dog is the primary food source of the BFF.  What happens to
the predator if it loses its prey?  Well, what happens to you if you
have no food?  One of the people present was working on a thesis about
the BFF and the success in SD as opposed to the limited success in MT.
Apparently BFFs like certain kinds of prairie dog towns - the ones you
can see from the air, spreading out all over the landscape.  What if we
remove all these habitats?

The extinction bill was passed and that means that there will be some
issues that will arise.  Get involved.  If you donate money to ANY
wildlife organization, specify it for your cause - in this case, the
BFF.  Contact your congressman and senators.  Find out how you can make
a difference.  Remember the saying, Take care of the pennies and the
dollars will take care of themselves?  Well, if we can help one species,
perhaps we will be helping all of them.  Will it make a difference to try
to stop the poisoning?  Not if we don't try.  So, if this is of
importance to you, may I suggest you get involved.  If not, perhaps there
is something near and dear to your heart - like our wetlands or the
prairie.

Okay, I am off my soapbox.  But I am still on cloud 9!  I can't wait
until the next opportunity to *get my hands dirty* - and my clothes
smelly!  I tell you, some of those ferrets can really stir up a stink!
The first night the vet was there, I had the honor of sharing the same
air with him.  Three of the current BFFs managed to emit such a smell
that we had to open the window and door!  Talk about burning eyes!  And
noisy!  Some of these guys were so vocal that it was necessary to cover
the carriers to prevent them from seeing us.  Muscular, too.  Beautiful
green eyes and coats in multiple colors.  Their teeth were so white and
clean.  Their tails so full.

I hope I have piqued your interest.  The Forum in the Fort will be Oct.
22 and 23 in Fort Collins, CO.  It will include a trip to the BFF captive
breeding facitliy.  If there is anyway you can go, I highly encourage it.
Hope you have as much fun as I did - but I doubt it!  ;-)

renee :)
International Ferret Congress
http://www.ferretcongress.org