From:
Dani Lucking <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 09:54:36 -0500
>>>the American Veterinary Medical Association recommends that "No
>>>ferret be left unattended with any individual incapable of removing
>>>himself or herself from the ferret

>>I don't see how you can argue this point, as there is no argument
>>against it.  Although it should extend to any animal or bird.

>Had this statement applied to all animals, it would have my full
>support as a ferret enthusiasts.

While we all agree that statistically the family dog poses much more of a
threat to any member of the family than a ferret, they can't really broaden
the statement *that* much because of service animals.  Many people are
bitten by untrained dogs each year, but many people would not have
independance if it weren't for the well trained service dogs.  If they
made such a statement, the ADA would be up at arms, and they are infinitely
better financed and lobbied than we are.  I agree some mention of the
danger posed by other animals, including dogs, should be included, but an
all out statement like that could never be made.  It does seem silly that
people are more afraid that people will be attacked by a 2 pound ferret,
but think nothing of 30, 50, 100+ pound dogs being left alone with small
children.