From:
Candice Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 02:31:28 EST
>>Also, getting advice from experts with herbs and vets, which vets say
>>that a ferret should get 1/8 or less,)
>
>1/8 is that correct?  I thought the ferret to human weight ratio would
>make it nearer 1/80.  Chris.

That's what you'd think, but in consult with Dr Weiss about dose of
Actigal for one of mine, the dose was much higher than one would think by
weight.  I asked my vet to double-check the dose with Dr Weiss and he
said the reason is that ferrets have such fast metabolisms and such rapid
intestinal transit times.  I imagine each drug/herb is somewhat unique in
dose and I would be afraid to assume a dose based any general formula
without talking with a ferret knowledgeable vet.  Also, as with humans, I
imagine dose should be decreased as the animal ages or in the presence of
liver or kidney disease and in the presence of some other drugs.

cb