From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 00:17:11 -0500
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=3391

Author wrote:
>I have a concern that has been on going for about one month now.  My
>foster ferret is going in for blood tests help determine what seems to
>be causing his belly to look bloated and hard.
>
>If you hold him up he looks like a bowling pin...I was thinking it was
>fat although it is firm to touch and seems tender.  He is 8 and a half
>and has had bi-lateral adrenal surgery about one year ago.  He has been
>on lupron for about one year because the right acted up again.  He also
>has a mass cel on his right ear that was trouble about 4 months ago but
>has not bled since.  I am hoping it is nothing although I fear that
>tumors are growing or the age has hit him.  I know that the adrenal
>maybe getting stronger cause the symptom of trickled pee and frequent
>pees are becoming more present although again this concerns me to
>something pushing on his bladder.  He walks kinda wobbled because of the
>large tummy.  His eating petterns seem to be the same, play is normal
>for an elder, sleep seems to be increased some though.  I love this lil
>man and hope that he is not in pain.  He should be going in for tests
>this week.

There are a number of possibilities her, and your trip to the vet is a
great idea.

What would top my list is not unexpected - excessive fat in the abdomen
and a large spleen to give the abdomen a hard feel - both are very common
in geriatric ferrets.  That's the best possibility, and not too terribly
remote.

Of course, any abdominal swelling in an older ferret warrants a good look
at the heart, as ascites is also a very common finding- the result of
fluid accumulation in the abdomen from a failing heart.  tumors are a
more remote possibility, but should not be ignored - they too can result
in fluid accumulation in the abdomen.

I am somewhat more concerned by your mention of previous adrenal
neoplasia and your ferret's current difficulties with urination.
Recurrent adrenal tumors may accomplish syndromes that the original tumor
could not - in this case, possibly prostatic cysts which are compressing
the urethra and making it difficult to urinate.  Something else that
bears examining as soon as you can get him in to see your vet.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM