From:
Rachel Zuckerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:42:13 -0400
Hi everyone,
First I want to give tremendous thank-yous to everyone who wrote to help
me with my insurance problem.  We're still waiting to hear the final word
from that company, but I think we'll just try somewhere else.

On to the main subject of the post: Sebastian is fat.  This is not news,
he has always been a big boy, but I'm afraid he is out of shape for a
ferret his age.  He's around 5 or 6 (I think-- not sure exactly) and is
quite tubby and squishy.  He LOVES his food and doesn't like to exercise
much-- will only get really riled up if his cagemate Pukka bothers him
persistently.  Besides being adrenal and on Lupron there's nothing wrong
with him healthwise, at least not since his last vet visit.  Sebby has
always been a food fanatic-- he'll go after ferret food, dog food, cat
food, and any people food that hits the floor (no, I don't feed him
people food and try my best to prevent him eating it!)

I guess my question is how do you encourage a couch-potato ferret to
exercise?  I've never really heard of overweight being problematic in
ferrets, it's usually underweight that's a problem.  I don't think I
overfeed him, and since he shares a cage cutting back on his food would
be cutting back on Pukka's too.  Could his having adrenal disease have
anything to do with it?  Any feedback would be great.

Thanks a lot,
Rachel, Pukka, Lola, and Sebastian the chubmonster