From:
Fuzzies-r-Us <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 16:43:33 -0400
I have to share a story.  Early this morning, at about 5:45 am, I was woken
up by our little "free- roaming" albino, Mysti.  She was jumping up and
down on me.  Figuring she wanted a bit of attention, I reached for her, but
she quickly jumped off the bed and stood on the floor looking at me.  Hmm,
at quarter to six in the morning, I'm not about to start a rousing game of
"Chase the Weasle", so I laid back down.  Within moments she was back up on
the bed, nudging me and bumping me.  I reached for her again, she jumped
off the bed again.  After this happened about 3 more times, I looked down
at her and she was pacing anxiously on the floor.  She saw me looking and
raced into the kitchen.  A few moments later, I heard a loud, startling
"Squeek".  Concerned, I jumped out of bed and went into the kitchen.

Mysti was standing in front of an empty Pepsi box that my kids love playing
in.  She looked anxious and upset.  When I reached the box I was horrified
to find my elderly, insulomic boy, Bandit in there in the middle of a blood
sugar "crash".  I quickly got him out, wrapped him in a blanket and whipped
up some honey water.  Out in the living room, I settled into the rocking
chair and proceeded to get some of the honey into him along with a few
drinks of Ensure.  The entire time, Mysti was frantically climbing me,
trying to see Bandit.  I couldn't believe it.

See, Mysti is our "anti-social" ferret.  She hates all of our other
fuzz-butts.  Always had.  Screams blue murder whenever one of them comes
near her.  Now, not only had she found Bandit, woken me up and led me
to him ... she was damn sure she was going to stay RIGHT beside him the
entire time.

I'm happy to say that Bandit is doing really well.  He came out of his
crash just fine and is sleeping comfortably in his cage.  He's not going to
be really thrilled with his new "locked cage at night" policy ... but I
can't take the chance of him crashing and wandering off again.  Normally he
never leaves his cage unless my husband or I am around.  I'll also be
starting a night/morning patrol to check on him every few hours.  *sigh*
Sometimes I feel like a such a bad mom.  I get sick thinking of what might
have happened if Mysti hadn't found him on that cold kitchen floor ... it
easily would have been another hour before I'd gotten up and found him ...
so cold and so sick.  *cringe*

So I have a little hero curled up in a hammock in a little cage that she
sleeps in by herself.

Who said there are no angels on earth?  *smile*

Tonia Smith and the gang 'o' eight.