From:
wesley hurley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 11:24:12 -0600
Profile of a Rescue ferret at The Ferret Rescue of Pensacola.  (One
ferret's stats:)

Ferret (whole, true) Name: Harley Davidson Ferret..."Winning" photo in
Ferrets Magazine Sept-Oct 2001 Issue, Vol 4, Number 5.  Page 51 of that
issue.  (e-mail for request of this issue to [log in to unmask] .  Another
e-mail for the magazine is [log in to unmask] ) ((in the photo he's
wearing a leather "biker" jacket and perched on the front part of a real
Harley Davidson bike))

* Age (approximate): 5 years
* Birth date(approximate): spring, 1998
* Favorite treat:  a big bite of a live cat. If he can't eat cat, he'll
  take raisins and papaya bits. Bits of mangoes are good, too.
* Favorite place to sleep: The largest hammie in the three-story cage
  with his mates.
* Favorite plaything: a wiggle-ball he can "dook" at, grab, bounce
  around, dook at, grab again...
* Why he is considered to be sponsorable (not adoptable):

Harley Davidson Ferret has got a genuine "mean" streak in him for other
critters.

He had to be separated from his cage-mates for a week because he severely
bit little Sandy LeQuick.  After Sandy LeQuick healed, we sprayed the
back of her neck well with bitter apple spray, and also her brother,
Spanky Le Beau's back of his neck, for good measure, so that Harley
Davidson Ferret would not be tempted to seize either of them, again.
The vet thinks he MIGHT be an incomplete neuter (botched by good ol'
Marshall Farms' NON-medically trained "techs") which would account for
the apparent health but occasions of sexually aggressive behavior, and
just-plain aggressive behavior.  When Harley Davidson Ferret was first
introduced to all our cats in free-roaming of our house, he grabbed a big
bite on Lena Green's underbelly and would NOT let go while she yowled and
rushed around in agony.  Lena Green wouldn't hurt Harley Davidson "back",
for she treats all the ferrets like they might be her lost kittens.
(Another cat we have, Sphynx Mysteria, a blue-eyed white, is defensive of
the ferrets as surrogate-kittens,, too, even more-so than Lena Green is)
.Harley Davidson also terrorized the ancient, 14-year-old Furbucket (a
shy and quiet blue-cream Persian) SO badly that now old Furbucket is
afraid of ALL ferrets, except the slowest, quietest ones like Smokey Joe
Oldster.  NOW Harley Davidson is allowed playtime only while one of us
is right on-hand and in a room with No cats or other ferrets (than his
familiar mates, who, as we have seen, are still "at-risk" without the
bitter apple to "guard" their own necks), so we can quickly prevent any
further aggression, and separate him again (separation is "punishment" )
if needs be.

* If he has any illnesses what are they?:

Harley Davidson Ferret has a real and true "biker-toughdude" personality.
When he bites, he AIN'T kiddin'!  But so far, he's also healthy as a
junkyard dog.  (don't let bad, bad Harley down,- -baddest dude in the
Whole Dang town!,--badder than-a-Ol' King King--meaner than a junkyard
dawg! :)

* How long has he been with the rescue?

Since his owner, Beka Doege, turned him and both cage-mates in to be
minded for her in Sept., 2001.  Her mother had just been hospitalized
with cancer and the family could not afford to keep the ferrets with
their skyrocketing medical costs for their mother.  For eight months,
Beka had hopes of perhaps getting the ferrets back, but then Sandy
LeQuick needed treatment for adrenal tumors and Beka couldn't afford
either the Lupron shots or the operation to treat Sandy LeQuick, so we
have all three of Beka's ferrets, still.

* Weight: 3 pounds
* Cage mates:  Sandy LeQuick, and Spanky LeBeau  (brother-and-sister pair)
* Where did he come from?   A small pet store, supplied by Marshall Farms
* Does he have any funny or unusual habits or traits?  See above, he does
  like some people, *!*once*!* he gets to know them.  We haven't found
  another critter he's safe to be around, though....

Susie Lee-Hurley, Mom to 37 ferrets, 8 cats, assorted other critters at
the Eastern Pensacola Ferret Rescue.