From:
"Michael \"Mick\" Schmid" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 14:27:02 -0500
I just wanted to say that your post touched me.  I am glad to hear that
Sprinkles is well on the way to recovery.  I also would like to say that
I do not think your attitude towards your ferrets was or is cavalier.  As a
Paramedic, I've seen all together too much tragedy.  So many times I hear
"if only I could have..." or "if I had only had said.." .  I asked a
psychologist friend about this and he told me that most people know the
risks thatwe take in a normal day and we deal with them by "ignoring" them.
It's not a sign that we are being cavalier about them, but the only way
that we can continue to function.  If we were always worried about the
things that could kill a loved one we would not have time to do anything
else.  Please stop "kicking" yourself, minor medical procedures are some of
the things we tend to "ignore" the risks of most often.  I have personally
seen a person die as a result of Novocain at the dentist.  Can this kill?
Yes, but we humans "ignore" it in order to function.  There is always one
more thing we could have said, one more hug or kiss.  From reading both
posts I can tell how much you love your ferrets, and they know it!!!
Probably mre than you realize.  If Sprinkles was capable of talking and
understanding the situation, Sprinkles would be telling you that what
happened was bad, but it happened not because of you, but because you
wanted to protect her.  Sprinkles would be telling you that you did what
was best for her, and that she still loves you very much and that there is
nothing to forgive.

 Michael "Mick" Schmid
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
(When All Else Fails Play Dead)