From:
Connie Best <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 1996 13:48:43 EST
Heather,

I can not help you with finding a vet, but I might be able to help with the
other things.

Biting toes seems to be very common with little fuzzies.  My male(Tango) use
to do this when he was younger.  I think that he thought that they were some
sort of play toy.  He stopped doing this when we got our female(Sadie).  He
now has someone to wrestle with and release some of his extra energy on.  I
just use to scold him and try to play with him more often to avoid these
attacks.  I know how you feel though about this bothering you.... My one
female (Sadie) bites whenever she wants to get down or wants some attention.
She will bite feet, legs, chins or anything she is close to.  She is growing
out of this though.  It took a lot of different types of punishment before
she caught on to "don't bite me".  We tried saying no, blowing in her face,
tapping her nose, putting her in the cage when the other were out.  The only
one that seems to work is "grabbing her by the scruff and drag her across
the floor while hissing at her".  I read that this is how the mother ferret
punishes her young.  Sadie understood after a couple times and has settled
down.  When she bites to get down, I shake her by the scruff and say no, but
don't let her down until she settles down.  This doesn't hurt her like
hitting their nose and she understands.  By the way, she never bites feet.

I still get mad at my fuzzies for missing the litter pan but don't worry,
she will out grow it.  After I had Sadie and Tango out for about twenty
minutes, I use to put them back in their cage to go potty.  This went on for
about four months.  It became a pain so I put two litter boxes out for them
in their favorite spots.  I showed them the litter boxes every time I took
them out so that they could remember where they were.  In no time at all
they were using them.  I was so happy, because they could spend more time
out of their cage playing.  They sometime make mistakes and go in the wrong
spot or worse right next to it "Sadie".  I just yell no and they run and
hide.  They know what is wrong if you only raise your voice when they do
something wrong.  I just clean it up and live with it.  Don't keep moving
the litter pan.  This will confuse her and lead to you getting mad at her.
Watch what corner she uses and put one there.  Keep it in that corner until
she knows what it is there for.  They are very smart...

My ferrets grew out of throwing the litter out of the litter pan.  I know
this is a pain and this use to really piss me off.  No matter how much I
yelled at them, they continued to do it.  They think that it is their sand
box.  I noticed that they only seemed to do this when I put new litter in
the pan.  I think that they were digging to find their little messes.  So I
just started to wash the litter pan out instead of using soap and water to
clean it.  This way they could still smell the scent in the box and when
they smelled it they stopped digging.  Maybe you can try a few things like
this(or leave some old litter in the pan, etc) and she will learn that it is
not a play thing.  I use to get so mad at Tango for doing this.  But when I
got Sadie, I tried a few things until I figured out the rinsing and not
washing idea.  Now that they are 8 months, four months and about a year(I
don't know because she was a rescue), they don't dig anymore.  I'm afraid to
by a different litter now because I'm scared that they are going to start
this all over again.

If you have any more questions or want to talk, please feel free to write.

     Connie

P.S. - Good Luck.  Just be patient with your new one, she is new to the
world and has a lot to learn & get into.... I still have a lot to learn as
well so feel free to give me a few tips as well.