From:
BOB NIXON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 1994 23:44:11 EDT
Chris
You are right that I probably need a course in TACT. I really didn,t mean that
all people than read and contribute to the FML are all Yuppies. Niether did I
ever call mtself an expert but merly offering an opinion,

I thought it was a little comical though when you compare a Chihuahau to a Wolf
as to Ferret to Polecat. Domestication of dogs is far more deverse than it is
with Ferrets, thats obvious even to the casual observer.

[Well yes, it is.  On the other hand, dogs have been domesticated a lot
longer than ferrets have.  Prolly by around 10,000 years.  They've had
5 times as long to make modifications to the original stock.  But if the only
domesticated dog you knew about was an Eskimo sled dog, Malamute or Husky,
the only form of cattle you knew of being a highlander, the only cat being an
abysinian, the only horse a Pryzwilski, then you wouldn't think they were that
diverse either, would you?]

As to Ferrets breeding in the wild I "said, that some could" not would as most
are nuetered and too docile.

[I don't think that the New Zealanders are so stupid as to try to establish
a colony of neutered ferrets from Marshall Farms.  Actually, you cna probably
establish nonviability quite easily.  We all know how susceptable to canine
distemper ferrets (particularly Mustela Nigripes) is.  I suspect that it
would be virtually impossible for a population of ferrets to survive where
there are dogs present and distemper is endemic.]

Now I'll fall into line with the FML populus.
I came home at lunch time and was greeted a the door by Golum, my male sable. He
can hear my car pull in the garage or the house alarm going off, as I quickly
fix myself a sandwich Tas my female sable comes in the kitchen and now both are
waiting by the Frig for a few drops of ferretone and a couple of raisins.

Later in the evening about 8PM when the outside temperature have dropped to the
low 90's they wake from a cabinet below the bathroom sink, " one of their
sleeping spots." Both are yawning and I rub their ears and tummy's while they
preen them selves.

It's time to go out in the back yard for awhile. They both jump for joy
frolicing and jumping in circles. They case the yard checking for smells. The
stray cat I've been feeding comes running for his food dish and water. Golum and
Taz circle him menisingly, as they appoach  the turns toward them and hisses.
The say "it's ok you go on and eat we won't bother you any more" and they go on
about their playing occasionally chasing each other and poncing. After about 15
or 20 minutes of playing Golum dashes in the arcaidia door withTas in pursuit.
They start chasing each other through the 3"PVC tubes in the back bedroom,
sometimes Golum waiting at one end for Taz to come out. He leaps on her
prayfully as she emerges. Later they play on the cat tower in the living room
while I poke my hand in and out of the various opening. Both grabing my hand
playfully but never biting hard.

Sometimes I am awaked in the morning just before the alarm clock goes of be a
Golum sniffing my face or Taz playing with my feet. Well thats a day in the life
of a couple of very domesticated Polecats 'scuze me' Ferrets.       Bob!!!!!

[Ahem.  And this will be the last in this thread.]