Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2011 22:52:00 -0500
Larry Anderson from Scales and Tails Rescue had a great post the other
day on the FML talking about educating ferret owners, particularly new
ones. I would like to add to what he said and make a suggestion.

For nearly a year I've been buying used copies of FERRETS FOR DUMMIES
from ebay, half.com, and amazon.com and donating them to shelters and
local humane societies to give away for free to new ferret owners who
adopt. I've yet to pay more than $5 for a copy, inclusive of shipping,
and most are in very good condition. I feel that adopted ferrets have
a vastly better chance at a good and healthy life if new owners are
armed with this book, or something similar. I know that I sure wish I
had one way back when I first started owning ferrets. As Larry said,
it's important to tell prospective new owners up front about what is
involved in ferret ownership, including vet costs. However, after the
adoption, we can't be there to answer questions, or to tell the owners
what to look for as signs of potential problems, or how to ferret proof
a room, or a thousand other things that such a book could answer for
them. For $5 per book or less, I believe it's an extremely low price
to pay to help ensure a better life for a ferret.

Jeff
In Loving Memory of Neo, Trinity, Morphy, Possum, Pip, Pop, Sabrina,
Minnie Mouse, Misty, Frodo, Baggins, and Mr. Parker
Caring for Luna, Baby Girl, Dozer, and Hunny