Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 94 11:22:46 CDT
Jon-ann

        Perhaps I am too loyal a student of my parasitology professor, but in
my humble opinion, flea collars are a waste of money.  Unless of course
you're trying to kill only the fleas on your animals neck! ;)  I'm not sure
if flea collars are safe for ferrets or not -- myself, I don't think I'd risk
it even if they supposedly were, but Dr. Williams can tell you for sure
probably.  The reason your fleas are returning is not because your ferret(s)
don't have round-the-clock protection from a flea collar.  Most likely it is
because you have immature fleas in your carpeting and in the ferrets'
bedding.  Find out from your vet what is a safe environmental treatment, and
zap the whole house, at least the carpeted parts.  Be sure to pay special
attention to underfurniture areas, especially underbeds -- the immature fleas
are attracted to the cool, dark environmnent there.  Treat your ferrets at
the same time as you treat their environment, and whenever you take them
outside go over them with a flea comb to be sure to get rid of any they may
have picked up.  It's a hassle, but your problem won't go away until you
treat the environment around your pets, not just them.  But then they should
stay away, as long as you watch out for them.  Good luck!

Laura

Laura L'Heureux
U. of Illinois Vet Med Class of `96