From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 16:15:40 -0400
Okay: there were two fine and related points raised for discussion on
Sunday.

While I think that the failure of show groups and some shelters to
communicate with animal control officers about questionable breeders
in the past was not due to pride but more due to communication failures
such as not knowing who handles what in different states, I DO think that
Alicia has an excellent point about requesting inspections when there is
a dumping situation.  How can claims made to show groups or others be
checked into long-distance?  How can those who have proof of dumping or
abuse best present their data to have shows take it seriously?  How can
reporting be facilitated when bad conditions exist?  These all look to
be problems that can solved if people think about them and discuss them.

I think, too, that Anonymous raised a fine point about looking for signs
of abuse and taking action early on when possible.

So, who has input about warning flags and what should be done when they
arise?  The aim is not to point fingers at anyone past or present, but
to try to have better approaches for the future.

Oh, one point: there is pretty well assured to be some false things said
out there in the rumor mill, especially since the rumor mill is USUALLY
wrong, and I think that may be leading to some of the worry among a few
posters who perhaps don't realize how notoriously incorrect the rumor
mill is.

BTW, I can't recall off-hand how large a ferret group has to be to
require USDA inspections, but perhaps there is some more proof of failure
to honor laws as well failure to care for the animals if she should have
had such a permit and inspections.

I am finding that I am learning a huge amount about these sorts of legal
seizure situations by listening to the many informed people who are
contributing.  I'd never have guessed many of the fine points they have
brought up for consideration.

Meanwhile, remember that your contribution to SOS
http://supportourshelters.org
can help save those current ferrets who suffered so horribly.