From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 03:21:55 -0400
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Now, recently, I have read some posts by two shelter operators on the
>whole ADV issue.  I was very appalled that these two shelter operators
>feel that ferrets who have ADV should be euthanized ..............

Oh Danielle-
I really love the way you stir up trouble bringing posts from other lists
here where folks on the FML are not reading the threads , for the purpose
of inciting riots.  You have openly voiced opposition to both shelters
and shelter persons openly on several lists in the past - this is just
another of your attacks upon us.

Yes indeed, several posts from licensed and tax exempt shelters did
state it was the shelter policies to have to make the very gut wrenching
decision in the case an ADV ferret arrives at a shelter.  BUT one who has
authored articles on non profit corporations etc., should be knowledgeable
in knowing with such policies they cannot be made by one person.  A
non profit entity must have a board of directors which sets and enforces
policies.  One person cannot make all the decisions..  so poo to you for
name calling -- err on the sly.

Our board has a veterinarian on it- the arguments are presented by several
persons on liability - health care, impact to adoption ratios, etc.  After
all non profit is a business - our reward is not monitary but in the
number of animals we can protect, treat and find loving homes for.  It
is not an easy thing to decide how to proceed when it comes to viral
contagions-- never mind viral contagions which have no treatment and no
cure in sight.  You may condemn away all you want -- but the shelters are
the ones trying to guarantee that adopted ferrets do NOT pass the illness
on to those wonderful adopting families and the ferrets which already
reside there.  There is something to be said about that too!  This I do
not feel should be condemned ... although you do so, very readily.

What you propose brings another great interest- how about a huge fund
which shelters can draw from to pay off civil suits when families whose
ferrets become infected after a shelter adoption because the ferrets were
not tested -- could draw from?  Now I agree, if SOS wants to discredit
donations for our shelter - I think this also needs to be done a fund
created to help pay for the lawsuits against shelters which prompt ADV
outbreaks of healthy ferrets, put our designated dollars there!  .
Because to not distinguish pos from neg shelters and to urge all pos
ferrets a place in the shelter this will surely happen.  So this fund
will be needed for those who haphazardly keep ADV pos ferrets yet
continue to adopt ferrets out of the same shelter!

We are not talking about the 7 year itch here- we are talking ADV and
about the possible extinction of an entire species... and condemning
those who want to make sure there are always ferrets for owners to
enjoy -- well your rose colored glasses may just need cleaning!

Perhaps you should be the one who starts a national registry of those
persons capable and competent - financially secure who will readily be
available to take in ADV positive ferrets when they arrive at a shelter.
Then we won't have to make such hard pressed decisions.  That would make
life a lot easier for me as the overseeing caretaker of one of the
shelters you so stealthily attacked.  And though our policy has been in
place for some time ( Nov 99) -- we did find a permanent placement for the
positive ADV ferret we detected -- so perhaps you should not be throwing
your stones quite so readily?  - remember the addage about people who live
in glass houses..... oh yes you may not be reading this -- but since you
have been posting regularly lately - I will send my reply back to the
list anyhow!

Alicia Drakiotes
only one of many volunteering at Ferret Wise
www.ferretwise.org