From:
Sue Pyron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 03:13:16 -0400
Hey guys!

I just had to add my horror story to the list of others.  This was not a
house, or a window screen but their travel cage.

We had gone to play at a ferret friends house(which by the way I made
because of this fabulous FML) It was time to go and I had everyone cozied
up in their cage, with a nice blanket over them because it was raining.
Everything was going great.

I had quite a lot of stuff in my arms so when I got to my car, I set the
fuzzies down on their side of the car(No one could park on that side, so
they were safer there).  I quickly, & I mean quickly, as I could went to
my side, unlocked their door from inside(since the key lock didn't work
on the passenger side)and went back to the other side to put my babies in
the car.  When I turned that corner I swear to all of you I thought I was
going to faint.  No blanket on top, cage door open and not one fuzzie in
sight.  Immediately I ran around to the other side to get their squeky
bird from their toy bag.  Well that was all well and fine for four of
them, but Nikki is deaf.  I squeeked that thing until I thought it was
going to explode.  There out of the corner of my eye I see Nikki going
under a parked car.  I kissed that baby until she pushed me away.  In the
cage she went .  This time the cage was IN the car with a twist tie in
case.  I turned my head just in time to see Sammy's butt and tail
dissapear into a small storm pipe.  I concentrated on Princess now, my
precious Princess.  By now I'm crying like crazy, it's raining and cold.
Then I see Oscar comomg out of someone's patio.  I had to run down the
muddy stairs(and I can't run due to serious back problems), through the
muddy puddle and scoop her up, followed by tons of muddy kisses.  In the
cage she went.  I'm calling and calling for Sammy and Princess and a man
comes from around the corner, is that her?  She was 3 cars up the parking
lot, muddy, soaking wet.  I scooped her up and held her so tight I thought
I'd squish her.  2 to go.  I looked down the little muddy stairs and here
come Sammy, just as happy as can be.  "you lookin for me?" the look on his
face said it all.  Now Tori, my nice clean white albino.  I ran around the
dumpsters and ther she was, Georgia red mud , red and stringy wet.  I had
all my babies.  I thanked God, I thanked Sandee.  I was so grateful I
couldn't even be angry about them opening that cage door.

So soaking wet, I turned on the heater and pointed it toward them.  I
Looked at me and I was covered with mud, from kissing and hugging.  I
looked liked a drowned rat and THEY looked liked drowned weasels.  But I
didn't care, I had my babies.  What a horrible gut wrenching time finding
them all.  I WAS NOT LEAVING until I had them all.  No one got a cold(not
even me)and now, I put 2 clip locks on the cage door.  I NEVER should
have taken my eyes off them for a second.  I did though, and I was lucky.
Just thinking about this still upsets me to think I came that close to
losing 1 or more or ALL of my babies.  THAT will never happen again!!!!

A lesson learned
Sue & Crew, Princess, Tori, Oscar, Sammy, & Nikki