From:
"Charlee M. Poehlman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 13:43:07 -0500
This is my first post to the FML, and I have been receiving/reading them
for a short time.  But in this short time, I have found them to be very
productive in different questions.  At this time, I currently don't have
any fuzzies of my own.  My last one has been gone for two years, (my
beloved Bee-Bee) and I have just recently decided to get another (2 or 3,
maybe).  I'd rather have a kit because I have had better luck with them,
but am looking into shelters in my area.  Which leads to my first
question...

1. Starting a Shelter - I'd really like to start a shelter.  I have seen
too many people get a ferret or two because they are "sooooo cute", but
they don't have the knowledge, or education to properly care and maintain
them.  They get abused, neglected, sick, etc.  I really would like to help
the little fuzzies, and the owners who no longer want them.  There are not
that many in my area, and any information would be appreciated on starting
one.
A. Are there any legal issues I should look into such as permits,
   licenses, etc.?
B. What is the best way to adbertise a shelter?  Local pet stores, animal
   control, etc.?
C. Do vets give discounts to shelters in need of medical attention, etc.?
   Etc., etc., etc.

2. Building an Outdoor Hutch/Playpen - I have searched everywhere
(bookstores, hardware stores, pet stores, and even the internet) for some
kind of "plans" to build a cage to allow my little furry friends to run
around freely outside when I'm out with them.  I'd like to build something
similar to a rabbit hutch which is off the ground, but has access for
them to travel down a ramp into a playpen area.  If anyone has any plans,
sketches, etc. (with measurements would be great), I really would
appreciate it.  I have most of the supplies I need to build one, but am
not that handy to build it without some type of a blueprint (if you know
what I mean).

Thanks!  Charlee (Charlene Poehlman)
[log in to unmask]  OR  [log in to unmask]