From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2009 08:14:51 -0400
To those who suggest discontinuing rabies vaccines, or spreading them
out more, some states do have laws requiring annual vaccinations.
Florida is one of them. Of course, failure to vaccinate annually only
becomes a problem if there is a bite incident. If a bite incident is
reported, the animal is required to be quarantined only if the rabies
vaccination is current. If it is not current, it is decided on a
case-by-case basis, based on the circumstances. Some local governments
may even automically require that unvaccinated animals be killed and
tested. The county I live in has a high incidence of animal rabies
cases.

(As an aside......this law came to be a number of years ago because,
at the time, it was left to local health departments in Florida to
set policy for ferret bite incidents. Some required an automatic kill
and test if a ferret bit someone, no matter whether the ferret was
vaccinated or not. After a young lady's ferret was "tested" after
biting someone, a group of people to set out to change the law. The
law was successfully changed to require a quarantine in bite incidents
if the ferret has a current vaccination, along with dogs and cats. This
was a huge triumph for Florida ferret owners!)

To carry it even further, it becomes not only a legal issue, but an
ethical one as well if you are a rescue, and are adopting out animals.
I would not adopt out a ferret who has not been vet checked and is
up-to-date on all of its vaccinations. Rescues need to set an example,
and educate the public.

I'm sure that all vets know to report an unusual number of reactions,
and they are hopefully doing so. That is what my vet has done.

Katharine
Florida