From:
pat andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:11:29 -0400
Okay, now that I got your attention....

Due to not being aware of the deadline for the South Florida Foto Frenzy I
sent of the originals of my better photos...after having an impromptu photo
contest at the office to see which one(s) I should enter.  So, last night
I decided to take up the local photo shop's invitation to "bring my ferret
in"  I harnessed up Shiloh and walked down into the local shopping district
where the photo shop is.

I walked into the shop and said "Here she is!" and lifted Shiloh aloft.
Three young men, obviously bored out of their skulls (two seated on the
floor against the display shelving and one behind the counter) suddenly
came to life when Shiloh's lithe body hit the ground.  (No, I didn't drop
her, silly...it's an expression!)  I handed her leash to one of them and
pulled out the negatives and started placing my order w/ the guy behind the
counter.  It took me awhile to locate the three pictures I needed to get
reprinted...and was very embarassed to find that some of the negatives were
dirty from being drug around by the resident FLO members.  I asked if they
could clean the negatives...and then turned to see one of the guys running
madly behind the counter holding the loop of Shiloh's leash.

I told Shiloh to steal me a camera because I wished I had mine.  Suddenly
various eyes widened w/ the realization that we were in a photo store and
there were TONS of cameras.  I got handed the leash while there was a
flurry of camera grabbing.  Soon flashbulbs were flashing chorused with
"look at that...isn't that the CUTEST thing you ever saw?" and "Hey,
where'd she go?"

After exhausting the opportunities behind the counter Shiloh found the
oriental rug in front of part of the counter and promptly slid under it to
the excited comment "Why walk on it when you can walk under it!"  After
giving the guys an opportunity to try to get a picture of her popping out
I picked her up and suggested working on her eye level and put her into a
basket of odds and ends of sales items...where she promptly turned a camera
case into a den.

Realizing it would be best to leave her public hungry for more I picked
up Shiloh.  One of the guys begged his friend to take his picture with
Shiloh...who, of course, graciously agreed to pose...looking out at the
camera w/ very sleepy eyes.  After smiles all around Shiloh and I left,
knowing we'd made that last hour of a slow day go much faster for three
new friends.

Since Shiloh was sleepy I figured I could probably get away w/ a cup of
coffee at the coffee shop next door.  I took her into the store while I
ordered and then brought her out to sit at one of the tables outside.
People kept coming out of the shop to meet Shiloh and pet her.  Passersby
ogled or stopped to chat and cuddle her.  And, as the guys from the camera
store left work, they all stopped, smiled and said goodnight.

Warm fuzzy feelings all around :-)  Shiloh and I indulged in an impromptu
FAD that was very successful.  Don't hesitate to take your FRIENDLY fuzzies
out amongst the community at large to show them how wonderful your pets are
if you are in an area where ferrets are legal.

Pat
Tess (Mom, why couldn't I go, too?)
Amadeus, Ozzie, Sadie, and Sonny (Us too!)