From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 02:44:18 -0400
That school DOES have a vet tech program

http://www.ag.fvsu.edu/VETY/academic_overview.htm

but the person's name doesn't come up with their directory.  That could
mean that the directory is not up to date or any range of other possible
interpretations.

***I just noticed that some parts of their site have not been updated
for 3 years, so that could explain the directory aspect.***

http://www.fvsu.edu/hr/employee_search.asp
Here is the faculty listing:
http://www.fvsu.edu/hr/faculty_search_results.asp
staff:
http://www.fvsu.edu/hr/staff_search_results.asp
administrators:
http://www.fvsu.edu/hr/admin_search_results.asp
the page you would expect her on for "all employees"

*** I think I'd be inclined to send a note to an appropriate prof or
administrator asking about the letter received. ***

My inclination is to think that this is REAL request for their vet tech
and pre-vet program to familiarize students with handling and caring for
ferrets.

[A later P.S.:
I have heard from the head of the appropriate programs and the request
from that college with the vet tech and pre-tech program IS real.  They
want ferrets for helping train their students to ferret personalities and
needs, and for living there for interactions and learning about care.
They are meeting the student's personal ferrets, but having some ferrets
on site for whom they could care is thought to have the potential to
provide a much more thorough introduction to ferrets for vet tech
students and for the students in their pre-vet program.  They have a
range of animals there for the students to care for.

The person from whom I heard after inquiring at the school itself is

 Frank K. Lochner, D.V.M., M.S.
 Professor
 Head, Department of Veterinary Science
 1005 State University Drive
 Fort Valley, Georgia 31030-4313

and if shelters in that area may have an interest in helping them find
needy ferrets who could appreciate that sort of attention, and give
advice for good care I will ask him if I can pass along his information,
or you can always find it all at the school's website:

http://www.fvsu.edu/coaheap/veterinary_sciences.asp

Meanwhile, the work study student who has the ferrets students are
currently meeting now has both the SOS and AFA shelter lists