From:
"Aileen N." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 09:39:29 -0700
<donning flame-proof suit>

I don't understand where everyone gets the idea that nose flicking is
hitting.  Hardly!  A flick on the nose is gentle, meant to startle the
animal out of what he's doing.  A hit is meant to inflict pain.  Hits
are done with the hand, forward or backward.  A flick is done with the
fingertip.  You can flick ants off the picnic table and watch them continue
on their way, why would a flick on a ferret's nose be so damaging?

Why scare the snot out of prospective/new owners by describing flicking
in such a manner by comparing it to hitting and nose-breaking?  Why not
describe it gently..."lightly tap the ferret on the nose with your
fingertip after uttering a strong 'no!' or 'ow!'"?  Compare it to how you
would tap the buttons on a telephone when dialing a phone number.

I have never HIT my ferrets, but I have flicked them occassionally.  They
are well-adjusted, affectionate, happy, and non-biters.

Just my opinion.
Aileen