From:
Michael Schieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 12:30:04 EDT
Hi Judith,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I try to avoid reading the Atlanta
Journal/Constipation whenever I can.  It, along with its companion TV
station, is famous for its biased reporting and attempts to sensaltionalize
news stories in order to make them fit into Cox Communication's strange
sense of reality.  They are very good at what they do, namely the selling of
newspapers and airtime to the point that any competing views are quickly
driven out of business or caused to be ignored or ridiculed.  Those of us
who do not support their efforts refer to them as "Fear and Loathing, Mayhem
Newsmongers."

I will go to the library today and find a copy of the article you referred
to.  You can rest assured that I will write many grumpy letters to Holly
Morris, as well as to those who allowed her drek to be published.  I
encourage all other Atlantans and Georgians to do the same.  I pray that
Martin was not swayed by her ignorance and prejudices against the sweetest
little guys I have ever met.

As far as the Powder Springs story is concerned, this is the first I have
heard of it.  While I do not subscribe to the mainstream news sources in
this city, I do stay informed and up to date on local happenings through
other sources.  I have neither read nor heard a single word about this
supposed attack.

How about the rest of you Georgians out there?  Can you add anything that I
might have overlooked?  It sounds like we have a job of work to do in
combatting this nonsense.  Let's pool our knowledge and information in an
attempt to stop this foolishness before it spreads.

In the unlikely event that this story is true, I wonder what the child did
to provoke the attack?  Why did her parents allow such a thing to happen?
Don't they know that an infant will grab, bite and try to experience
anything that it can reach?  The ferret in question, if this really
happened, was only trying to escape the injuries that were being inflicted
upon it.  Perhaps this child should be placed with folks who can be more
responsible parents to her?  The ferret should definitely be taken from them
and placed in a responsible home.

Sorry that I've rambled on so long about this.  Stuff like this really does
make me MAD.  The question now is, "What are we going to do about it?"

BTW, a word of warning to anyone who is planning to visit Atlanta for the
World Series: Don't believe anything you read in the local papers - other
than the baseball scores.  GO BRAVES!

I'll hush now,

Paw Paw