From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 21:12:00 -0800
To Michelle Tonkinson:
>Mitzi who will be 5 this March had ECE before we adopted her last April.
>Does that mean all of my ferrets have been exposed to ECE?

Well, it depends on how long hse had ECE before she was introduced to your
other ferrets.  If it was less than 4 months, I would imagine that all of
your ferrets have been exposed (assuming they use a common litterbox.  If
over that time, we can't be absolutely sure.

>None of our ferrets have had ECE so far.  Does this mean we can't adopt a
>older ferret who has not been exposed?

No, but you should make sure that the ferret you adopt doesn't have symptoms
or history of pre-existent disease, such as insulinoma, adrenal disease,
etc.  Healthy ferrets can tolerate ECE; ferrets with other diseases have a
much more difficult time of it.....

My suggestion - how about someone about 3 or 4?  That way, if ECE is present
in your house, you should still be in fairly good shape (no guarantees,
though!)

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Chief Pathologist, AccuPath
Dept. of Veterinary Pathology               [log in to unmask]
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology