From:
"Mrs. Duck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 18:47:56 -0500
>From:    JENNIFER SALLAND <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret-friendly airlines
>I've done a little research, and so far, have flat-out refusals from
>American, TWA, and UsAir... Northwest and Continental both said I'd have to
>check my ferret as cargo, which I will *not* do.  United said that the
>ferret would be allowed on board with me, as long as he was kept something
>smaller than 9x14x22.  I have a medium-size Sherpa bag that he travels in,
>which I think fits those parameters}.  The only airline that seems to have
>no problem with ferrets whatsoever is Delta.  I was wondering whether any
>of you fellow ferret owners could share some of your experiences with me.

Hi Jennifer.  Prior to many of us traveling from the East to Seattle for the
Show last week, I did a ton of research on the topic, and this is what I
have come up with...

The FAA allows one pet per passenger in an approved carrier (your sherpa
would not be) in the cabin.  This is restricted to two pets per cabin
segment.  They allow cats, dogs, household birds, ferrets, miniature ponies,
and pot bellied pigs (yeah I know- I'd pay to see someone shoving a
miniature pony under a seat).  The carrier must be able to fit under the
seat in front of you.  In addition all animals must have a health
certificate indicating that they have a current rabies vaccination.  (I
guess that part might not apply to birds?)

I also want to explain the difference between checked baggage and cargo.  If
you check the ferrets as baggage, they will be on the same flights as you
from start to finish- especially if you fly non-stop.  If you ship them as
cargo, they will get there whenever there is room on a plane for them.  Not
a good option IMHO.  The rules for ferrets per container also differ in
cargo, call the individual carrier.

However each carrier is allowed to choose whether they will allow the
animals in the cabin or not.  The ONLY US Carrier which allows this at this
time is Delta, unless United has changed teir policy over the past few
weeks.  But...another subscriber to the FML recently had an experience with
them where they would not allow her to take the ferret into the cabin on
Delta even after she was at the airport checking in, and they had previously
said no problem.  Perhaps she will be kind enough to post her experience.

I flew USAir with my fuzzies.  I flew non-stop from Philly to Seattle.  At
the Philly airport, the tix agent was a pain in the butt about it.
Requested health certs, looking for ANY reason not to take the ferrets as
checked baggage.  But I had done my homework, had ressies for the ferrets,
had names of people I talked to with times and dates.  So they did go.  When
we got to Seattle, the luggage handler who brought them out was also telling
me that they should have gone cargo, and I would need to take them back that
way.  Needless to say, when I got to the tix counter to check-in on my way
back I was having a coronary.  Luckily it was 7:00am Sunday morning, there
was no line.  The agent saw them and told me his daughter wanted one, did
they make good pets?  I let him hold one of them for a few minutes.
Needless to say, they got checked in without a hitch.  In fact when the
baggage handler came out to get them, he was asked to be very careful by the
tix agent because they had a long ride, and it wouldn't be good if their
water bowls were tipped so they had no water.  When I got to the gate, they
tracked me down before I boarded to tell me that the ferrets were on the
plane, away from any drafty doors.  I wrote to USAir, naming the wonderful
people in Seattle and thanked them for a job well done.

One more note on how I set up the cages.  Each cage had a small litter box
secured with a shower curtain hook.  There was either newspaper, or a towel
on the bottom of each cage.  Each cage had a hammock with a thinsulate
sleeping sack or faux lambswool blanket in it to keep them warm and off them
bottom of the cage.  We put a crocklok with water and food in each cage.
The idea was to give them protection in case the water spilled or a litter
pan was missed.  One of my ferrets I gave a dose of Benadryl before checking
him.  I did this ONLY after consulting with my vet.  Sedated animals have a
tendency to have trouble thermoregulating.  So only you and your vet can
determine the right answer for you.

>From:    Mustang Charlie <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: FCC.......
>The best thing listeners/ferret conscience folk can do is write the station

Close, but not quite there :-).  I worked in radio many years back, and if
it weren't for our ADVERTISERS I wouldn't have had a paycheck.  Listen to
who the advertisers are, particularly the local people.  Write and tell them
that you will boycott their product if they continue to advertise on that
station, and WHY!  Let me tell you, an angry advertising account- and the
bigger the local account, the better- is a radio stations biggest nightmare.
Especially hit the advertisers on morning and evening drive times.  Good
luck!

-Mrs. Duck