From:
Laura L'Heureux Kupkee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 1995 12:53:07 CST
        Okay, I gritted my teeth, I tried, I really did, and I wasn't going
to say a word, because I do every time the subject comes up and I'm never
sure whether it really makes a difference, but since there are constantly new
subscribers and Jim's message was so long and sounded so concerned, I just
can't do it -- I gotta say what I gotta say.

        I personally do not know what percentage of Marshall Farms ferrets go
to research, but I wouldn't be surprised at that 10% -- ferrets are not used
as much in research as rodents and rabbits, and there are an *awful* lot of
MF pets out there in pet stores.  Everybody has different feelings on
research and I know that there are a *lot* of people on here who believe it's
wrong and I respect their opinion.  Personally as a member of the medical
community (and a sufferer of a currently incurable disease) I see a real need
for *medically relevant* research and would not boycott MF on that basis.
Please don't flame me -- I completely respect your right to disagree but
don't wish to start any arguments -- it's too heated an issue.  Just wanted
to voice an opposing opinion.  That's not my main issue.

        My main issue is early spay/neuter.  I have seen repeatedly on the
list a strong concern about it, and understandably so.  Surgery at the tender
age of 6-8 weeks, *could* seem pretty drastic.  But I have spoken with
several veterinarians about it, and I have found that, in dogs and cats at
least, the vast majority believe that earlier is better -- there is such a
problem with overpopulation in this country that spaying and neutering must
be encouraged, and neither anyone I've spoken to nor I have seen any evidence
that it causes any problems, and it may even be beneficial, as it prevents
`accidents' in animals which come into season earlier than the predicted 6
months.  In fact, according to a vice-president of the AKC, that organiztion
and the AVMA advocate early spay/neuter.

        Now, obviously, we do not have a problem with ferret overpopulation.
But we *do* have a problem with owners who don't know about female ferrets
and the dangers of allowing them to stay in heat.  Can you *imagine* how many
jills would be dying if MF did *not* sell spayed/neutered ferrets?  Another
consideration -- unneutered males don't exactly smell like roses -- how many
males would be dumped out in the country, given to shelters, or just stuck in
a garage in a cage and ignored because of the unexpected smell upon maturity?
 A person who buys a ferret from a breeder is *told* about these things.  But
we all know that the average pet store worker is *sadly* uneducated about
ferrets and very little knowledge gets passed on to the patron.  Marshall
Farms is not going to go out of business, boycott or no.  I submit that if
they discontinued their current practice, we would have far more sick and
mistreated ferrets than we already do.  And none of us wants that.

        I have always been one of the few firm believers on this list that
Marshall Farms gets a very unfair bum wrap here.  My opinion may not be
popular, but I have it for many good reasons.  Besides what I have just
mentioned, it is also clear that MF breeds for pet temperment.  Now, I've
only owned two ferrets, so my experience is limited, but I've heard similar
tales -- my MF female is an absolute people-loving sweetheart, my breeder
ferret is a mildly neurotic though-still-very-loved hellion who took a *year*
to train not to bite and still is not a real people-lover.  I've never walked
into a pet store and seen a MF kit I didn't love instantly.  I've often seen
ferrets from breeders and other sources that I wouldn't have the patience to
take home.  And Marshall Farms, whether we like it or not, has been a *major*
vehicle for the popularization of pet ferrets in this country.  Due to the
sheer numbers they sell, there just wouldn't be anywhere near as many if it
weren't for them, and how many of you who have 5, 10, 20, 100 ferrets in your
home, shelter, or breeding operation started out with just one or two MF
ferrets or at least some other pet store ferret to make you interested?

        Now, I don't know enough about MF to say it doesn't have it's
problems.  I'm sure it does.  I do know reputable ferret vets, though, who
talk to the vet at Marshall Farms on a regular basis.  And they've never
given an indication that something's amiss there.  It is my firm believe that
this vandetta that seems to exist against MF is perhaps slightly misguided,
and definitely energy that could be better directed.  I know for sure from
reports that I've heard about conversations with the vet there that they *do*
care about their animals and ferrets in general.  If you believe their
operation is too big to care and all they want is a buck, that's fine, we all
have our soapboxes.  But nobody seems to be able to offer any concrete
evidence against them -- it's all conjecture and hearsay.  And I've seen some
pretty strong evidence for them, to be honest.  So anyway, at the very least,
I think it's up to each of us to be educated on the issues and make our own
choices as to where to get our little ones.  But rather than getting all in a
fluster about what may or may not be going on over there that *nobody* seems
to be able to prove, couldn't we just spend our energy on an issue that *is*
solvable -- education and legalization.  We've won Michigan.  Obviously it
can be done.  I say we quit picking on organizations that are on the side of
ferrets (whether we agree with them 100% or not) and concentrate on the ones
who are definitely *against* them.

        I'm *really* sorry this was so long, but I just can't seem to sit
quietly when all I'm reading is one side of an issue I don't really agree
with.  Hope I haven't offended anybody -- it's all just my humble opinion.

Laura

Laura L'Heureux Kupkee
U. of Illinois Vet Med Class of `96