From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 16:59:15 -0400
Wolfy wrote:
>.First... I have heard that the AFA adding new rules at shows for our
>ferrets protection. If its true, I think it's a good step forward. The
>new rule being that a ferret from an ADV positive "home" whether its
>negative or positive can not show

I AGREE Wolfy!  And might I add this is not NEW ADV stuff - this is THE
REALITY OF ADV.  Though many owners currently poo poo and a number of
vets discard the disease-- it IS the AIDS of the ferret species.  The
big difference is humans know when they are at risk -- ferrets do not.
Ferrets put their noses into urine - drink urine, put their noses into
fecal matter in litterboxes and elsewhere, ferrets have nose to nose
contact..  ferrets expose themselves easily as matter of fact social
interaction - it does not take breeding to spread ADV- although Breeding
may well be spreading it as well.  A VERY SCARY scenario because ferrets
can be exposed at play, at shows and at the vets offices!  Bringing a
ferret to show that is mixing with positive ferrets is like a lighted
fuse BECAUSE there is no way to know IF the ferrets are shedding the
disease.  It also may take up to 8 weeks from exposure for the tests to
produce the results of the exposure in the ferret system.  ANY ferret
show that would openly allow this to take place is putting a gun to their
heads-- taking the responsibility for ADV to spread with vigor IMHO.

Wolfy wrote:
>adopting out ADV negative ferrets with no history of possible exposure
>to homes that are ADV infected?  Is it a case by case basis (perhaps if
>the new home would have a seperate place for the negative ferret, or if
>the people were experienced in keeping both, or perhaps the adopted
>ferret is elderly anyway since ADV takes time to rear its ugly head in a
>ferret clinically)?  Or do some of you feel strongly that it does or does
>not matter?  Does anyone, or has anyone thought of asking for current
>testing papers from a potential adopter showing that ferrets are negative?

As for shelter operators- well this gets pretty tough!  We started with
testing every single ferret in '99 and every one is quarantined and United
tested upon entry - Positives are culled off- hopefully to pos shelters
or homes - YOU HAVE to start there IF you have any respect for the ADV
contagion.  Haphazardly testing will not do as the contagion can be
present!  It is a costly endeavor -- BUT if health means anything to an
operator it will be done.  Our facility WILL NOT place a young healthy
ferret into a known positive environment.  A young outwardly healthy in
appearance positive ferret yes - not a negative.

There are many negative homes waiting for negative ferrets- not enough
positive homes which positive young ferrets can go into.  It makes NO
SENSE to place a healthy ferret into an environment which will present a
compromised health condition.  Would humans take their children into a
location w/o protection knowing they could expose their kids to smallpox,
polio etc ?, ( prior to vaccination) I doubt it.  We would not -- we also
require ADV testing through our vet ( United) up to 45 days prior to
companion matches - I admit- it reduces the numbers of adoptions, or
makes ferrets stay a bit longer waiting - but we realize those who do
adopt will test annually and are conscientious of other ferrets.

My guesstimation is once a ferret shelter finds itself in the middle of a
nasty lawsuit for compromising the health & welfare of other ferrets - by
haphazardly placing a positive testing ferret, or not testing the ferrets
they place , we will see shelters close by the armloads.

The bottom line is SHELTERERS have a responsibility.  They need to address
this issue.  If you are not testing - you need to put it in writing- to
protect the families who adopt and your selves.

This whole skirting the ADV issue with positives not being positives is
another version of the ostrich game.  If enough people have such little
respect for the disease- soon there will be few ferrets surviving.
Respect your enemy - unless you are ready to keel over & die!

Alicia
a shelter MOM