From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 15:22:47 -0400
Risa posted to the Ferret Mailing List:
>Hello.  I know the depot and 24 hour lupron was just discussed recently,
>when I try to access the archives my system shorts out.  I recall the
>24hour once a month lupron being recommended, and the depot form being
>warned about since it needed to be used immediately after mixing.

Risa, the 24 hour Lupron is NOT sufficient for some ferrets with
adrenal neoplasia.

There have been ferrets who did not get the depot they needed because
the ferret people and vets incorrectly thought that the 24 hour version
was the depot.

Freezing is used for the depot version so that it doesn't have to be
used immediately.

When a post hasn't yet made it to FML Archives it makes sense to call
up past digests using the "SEND FERRET nnnn" feature in the header of
each day's FML.

Mike Janke had an excellent post on this in the FML and there is also
this:
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG8652

Both Mike (mjanke for "from") and Dr. Jerry Murray (AFERRETVET for
"from") have some marvelous posts on Lupron and on melatonin in
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org  (and there is a new addition to
miamiferret on melatonin at
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/melatonin.htm )

Personally, unless there is a lot more info that is well enough tested
I'd avoid the 24 hour Lupron.  There is a lot of disagreement out there
on this, largely because what is involved are two conflicting hypotheses.
My take is that the 24 hour Lupron saves money if it truly works, BUT if
the conflicting hypothesis is right and it can worsen the condition (See
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG8652 for details ) then at
least some of the time it might be a bad thing to do, and there have
been those whose ferrets didn't fare well.  So, especially given the
complications which can arise with adrenal growths I'd prefer to spend
the extra money and use the depot version, even not knowing how many or
which ferrets that extra precaution can help.