Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:32:54 EST
Hi Mary and other dear fellow FMLers.

Mary: I read your letter to us all this morning on the FML. Just wanted
you to know that while PETA has a radical faction, they have done a
number of wonderful things that get thrown into the mud with the ugly
things they do.

In Layton Utah, where a ferret hoarder was asking the FML for money
for a lawyer, and none of the authorities who had confiscated all the
ferrets would speak to anyone on the FML...I tried numerous times
personally...all the ferrets were going to be euthenized. I called
PETA, and asked if they could please call the people holding the
ferrets. At the time, we believed that the person who was actually a
hoarder ran a ferret shelter.

PETA flew down there for us. And that is when we discovered that the
shelter mom wanting a lawyer to get her ferrets back was in fact a
hoarder. PETA postponed the authorities in Layton Utah from euthenizing
the ferrets for several weeks. This gave us the chance to save the
ferrets.

The authorities there were not going to let all those ferrets back out
into their community, and were not answering our calls. PETA gave us a
chance to rescue the ferrets.

People on the FML rallied, and several people put themselves into
stressful heavy financial debt...spending thousands of dollars out of
their own pockets...to rescue the ferrets. Many others took in 5 or
more, also spending thousands on vet bills. People were in debt for a
number of years due to their enormous hearts, despite the money raised
to partially reimburse them.

I was the one who called PETA and who was called back to let me know of
the actual situation. So this is not rumor. I kept notes on the people
I spoke with in Utah and PETA up until I moved last year.

I will not debate about PETA. I am just letting you know that I cannot
find them either all good nor all bad. And I will always be grateful to
them for spending their time and money to fly into Utah to ascertain
the truth, and postpone the deaths of over 100 ferrets.

You may wish to contact them to see for themselves what the situation
is. I do not know if they still have the funds for such things. And
aside from me, I do not believe anyone else ever had the common
courteously to thank them. So I cannot imagine what They must think
of Us.