From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 1995 11:45:13 -0400
Thanks for all of the replies both public and private on my question as
to whether or not others had observed a post-two-week rabies-vaccination
problem - lethargy, not eating or drinking, with some later developing
dark tarry stools, respiratory distress then death.

No one who responded had observed anything like that, so I'll assume that
what we have been seeing is stress related and that it has nothing to do
with a peculiar vaccine reaction.

The latest ferret to experience the beginnings of those symptoms (extreme
lethargy and not eating) has, as ferrets do), rebounded nicely.  He went
from not eating the night before, to stealing french fries from my plate
last night, and putting up a real struggle when I tried to take them away
from him.  (I didn't try too hard, but it makes them taste so much better
that way).  He's chowing down on his regular food, but still will be
getting the Amoxicillin and Sulcrafate for another week.

          Dick B.