From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 10:17:08 -0500
Someone was asking about ferret tricks.  I've been compiling a mental list
of tricks they could learn and do, since there's really not much of that
kind of material available.  They are not dogs, they won't fetch your
slippers.  However, I've seen trained otters at sea world, so I know there's
a whole lot of potential there to tap.  Here's my list:

Obedience type stuff:

nip training-absolutely essential.  If you never train your ferret to do
anything else, please do as thorough a job as possible at this.

Come when called (or to a specific sound)-for safety reasons, this should be
the second trick you teach your ferrets.  I haven't done this yet, but in a
pinch "Going to Grandma's" works.  (see below)

shoulder-mine are all too big for my shoulders :(

walking on a leash-here's my technique: put the leash and harness on the
little guy, and let him get used to it.  When he's used to it, start walking
and gently tugging him along.  Ever ride a horse?  Know what I mean by
"contact with the reins?" Well, you want to maintain a gentle contact with
the leash.  ie.  Take up the slack, but don't pulll.  This keeps 'em moving.
They are small so don't wear them out.

litter box-there are several methods for this one.  Rewarding when the box
is used is best.

no digging in plants-When god made ferrets, he meant for them to dig dirt.
If you don't want them in your plants, you had better move the plants out of
the way, because I've never heard of anyone mastering this trick.

Fun stuff:

roll over-much info out there on how to do this

sit up and beg

raisin diving-recently posted on the FML, I think it's a great treat.

tugging on sock when wanting to be picked up-Sebastian invented this one,
and the others have learned it.

fetch-I haven't figured out how to do this.  The problem is, if you throw
something they are motivated to chase after and pick up, they will probably
hide it and the game will be over.

play dead-haven't done it myself, but I've heard of many successes

give kisses-try blowing gently in the ferret's nose.  Works well after
you've eaten something they like, or if you put a little something tasty on
your lips.

ATTACK-I've always wanted to train my ferrets to do a mock attack on my foot
at the command (given by anyone) "Does he bite?" So far, I haven't tackled
that project, but judging by the otters at Sea World, I think it's within
the realm of possibility.

Going to Grandma's-This one they learned on their own.  I get out the travel
basket and say "Let's go to Grandma's." The whole crew runs over and eagerly
jumps in.  Sometimes they do this on Saturday mornings when we're not going
to grandma's simply because we haven't gone to work and we look like we're
going somewhere.  It's really cute.

Learning their name-Sebastian now knows his name.  Don't let anyone tell you
ferrets will not learn their own names.  I think Mortimer is getting his,
too.  Mithril...well...she's on a different level.  <g>

Other ideas-jumping through a hoop, swimming, counting (like horses do),
dancing, stealing on command (I think one FMLer had a ferret do guest's
wallets), climbing or jumping tricks, back up.

I use a lot of raisins and ferretone licks for treats.  These work real
good.  Also don't forget all that psychological mumbo jumbo which tells us
the response is STRONGER if the animal doesn't get a treat every time.  THis
means that you should be frequently asking them to do the trick and then NOT
giving them a reward.  (I know this seems cruel, and I must say, I find it
hard to do) Usually, during a roll over training session, I will ask
Sebastian to do the trick three times for every raisin he gets.  Oh, ferrets
will also sometimes perform for praise, affection, or some other non food
reward.  I have had Sebastian roll over for coveted objects before like
wallets.  Try getting them to do a trick before letting them out to play.
You have to make their short attention span work for you.  They are
impatient.  This creates a sense of urgency which will work to your
advantage.

Good Luck!

-Catherine