From:
"Cheryl M. Forbis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 1995 09:40:48 CDT
Yes, I believe that there can be white polecats.  The ferret and the
European polecat are basically the same animal.  The only difference is that
ferrets have been selectically breed in captivity for thousands of years -
domesticated.  Color variations are genetic mutations that are passed from
generation to generation as a recessive trait, Sable being the dominant
trait.  When two of these recessives meet, you get a different color like
white.  People have purpossly breed certain ferrets to acheive specific
colors for thousands of years, while the polecat has to depend on nature.
The fact that no one we've heard from has seen a white polecat can be
explained by Darwin's theory of natural selection (I'm don't usually sound
like such a geek, really!).  Simply put, a white polecat would be very easy
for preditors to spot in the wild.  That really cutts down the surrvival
rate making it an extemely rare occasion for two reccessives to meet.  This
becomes more and more rare as the decades pass.  Its still possible though
for sable polecats to carry one dominant and one reccessive gene so
occasionally two of these may have a white kit in the litter.  The one that
the zoo in the previous FML said they had could be one such kit either born
in capitivity or captured by a person before another animal.  Please excuse
my feeble attempt at genetics.  If you find any flaws in my logic or info,
besides spelling, feel free to enlighten me.

                                CHERYL