From:
Barbara Gustafson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 17:45:43 -0600
Can anyone tell me if there is a brochure or pamphlet available that can be
used as a mail out to people inquiring about the breeding of ferrets.  I'm
looking for something that discusses the pros and cons of breeding so that
people can make an informed decision on whether to breed or not.

Although as a rescue society we don't actively support the breeding of
ferrets we do get a number of calls from people interested in breeding.  I
try not encourage nor discourage these callers, but rather share with them
what little information I know.  Still, every time I get a call I visualize
a bunch of neglected and mistreated ferrets in tiny cages out in someone's
backyard.  I know there are responsible ferret breeders but here in Alberta
the ones we've heard about are what we would classify as "back yard
breeders" only trying to make a buck.

If we had a pamphlet on this subject that we could send out to them it might
help discourage this type of breeder, while at the same time giving those
who really want to breed better ferrets information to help them obtain
their goals.

I know there have been several articles in Modern Ferret on this topic and
I could probably put together a passable pamphlet using some of the
information from those and other articles but I'd hate to do that if such a
brochure/pamphlet already exists.  That plus I know very little about
breeding ferrets and I'd be nervous about giving out the wrong information.

Barb Gustafson (aka Boots)
Alberta Ferret Society
Vice-President

You can respond to this e-mail online.
If you have ICQ my ICQ# is 1092229
If you don't have ICQ you can page me through:
* My Personal Communication Center: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/1092229 (go
  there and try it!)
* Or you can send me e-mail to [log in to unmask]
  You can download ICQ at http://www.icq.com/