From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 13:29:24 -0400
Received today so getting this right to the FML.  I wonder how much money
they need to correct the site since Steve and I would certainly be willing
to help with a contribution.  Will copy this back to the author so she can
look at the addresses above and tell the FML directly what sorts of funds
they need.  Maybe we could also get IMRAB's manufacturer (whose name I know
but can never spell correctly offhand) and some clubs and breeders of
varying sizes to contribute.  Will also copy this to Bill in case it's too
long so he can insert it himself into the FML in that case.

She's right that ferrets sometimes respond to abuse with violence, but so
do all animals, including humans.  It's possible, though, that ferrets may
be MORE prone nationwide to being stuck in abusive situations; I don't
know.  I certainly hope not.

Please, folks, remember to train with "times out" -- NOT with punishment
since that might backfire; DO get your pets the medical care they need;
provide enough space and playtime, as well as many challenging toys; give
them attention and LOVE.  You'll get love back.  Heck, Hjalmar would not
leave my side for six weeks after I had major surgery.  Remember how
Meltdown and Spot comforted our neighbor Maggie's kids while she was dying
of cancer, and how Meltie comforted the child who was losing her cat in the
hospital?  Think of all the completely dedicated, loving ones here.  There
are so very many.

[Moderator's note: Sukie was the first person to forward the AVMA's reply
to the FML, but several other people did as well, either to me or to the
list.  I'll point any other posts quoting the reply here.  Thanks all for
the diligent followups!  BIG]