From:
suzi lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:35:07 -0800
Hello there,
I was just reflecting on living with ferrets for the past 3 years now.
Our ferret family has grown to 7.  I love them sooooooo much and all
that I've learned and experienced.

One thing that I find interesting is the fact that I have heard others
comment on ferrets not being affectionate or cuddly.  I used to think
this in the very beginning.  Not being used to ferrets, always having
dogs and cats, they seemed not to be very interested in being picked up,
held, petted and cuddled.  At least in any recognizable way that I was
used to.

I gradually have found my ferts to be affectionate in much more subtle
ways, placing a paw on me or laying a head on my leg or foot and looking
up at me to be picked up, or the not so subtle, climbing up on mom's leg
or any accessible area and dropping on mom's head.  Now that's love!  As
the years progressed and my ferts got older, ( now 1 1/2 to 3 years old)
they have become quite the little love bugs.  I started out by always
kissing and rubbing them when they were sleepy and at first they didn't
really like it.  But now they have gotten used to it and will even arch
up and rub their little heads against me to be petted.  It is so cute.
My Ruby will roll for attention and let me tickle her tummy and rub her
little face.  They all give kisses now, some more than others.  My
Scrappy loves my hair and ears, when I lay down he will snuffle and lick
my head and face, but I have to be careful because he will chomp ears.
He used to suck his brothers ears when he was little and still has a ear
fetish.

I hear that when ferrets get even older they become even more interested
in cuddling, I can't wait!  I'm lucky to have experienced my little ones
from babies on and the changes are so intriguing as they get older, sure
babies are so cute, but the bond and affection that grows between me and
my ferts is just awesome.

In what ways do your ferrets show love and affection?
suzi L.