From:
Ed Greaves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 12:25:50 -0500
I've got a question or few about breeding/breeds in terms of ferrets.  I've
heard mention often of ferret polecat crossbreeds...and I wonder just how
different these would be from just plain ferrets.  How different ARE
polecats from ferrets?  Is it just the level of domestication, and therefore
instincts and such, or are there biological differences here.  And if it is
possible to crossbreed ferrets with others from the family, is it possible
to breed them with species other than a polecat?  (Hey who wouldn't want
just enough otter in their pet ferret so s/he wouldn't mind taking a bath.)
I know I've heard of odd combinations being breed before, you know lions
with tigers, horses with donkeys....at what level can these things be done.
(In reference to ferrets...I don't want to go into a crazy side tangent
about other cross-bred animals.)

No, I do not breed ferrets.  I most likely never will, since from what I've
read, it sounds difficult and so dangerous for the females...I'd rather at
this stage leave it in the hands of those that KNOW what they are doing.  I
ask this just out of curiosity.

Also, is there a coloration of ferrets that is all black?  I've heard of
this, and seen a picture...but the picture might not have been a ferret at
all, it might have been one of those close relatives that are not easy to
tell apart from a tiny picture...like mink or ermine.  I know about the
color poster, but haven't had the chance to get out and find one, or call in
and order one.

Thanks for indulging in a slightly off kilter persons inquiries.

Ed Greaves