Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 1995 13:13:30 -0500
I joined the ferret-list several months ago, and I believe it is a brilliant
idea for those of us with ferrets in common.  A soapbox for all of us to
discuss, trade, and argue about all things ferret.  It creates an area for
people with a pet in common to communicate the best ways available to make
the best loving enviroment possible for our special pets.  No doubt you have
a subscription list that stretches around the world, involving everyone from
the best veterinarians, to the first time owner.  Above all, this list
should be informative.  The knowledge of keeping these great pets alive and
healthy should be paramount in most discussions.

However, I feel that something should be said about those few who post
articles on their dead ferrets.  These extreme letters offer several pages
of description on the final moments of life, and then the dare we say,
elaborate funeral arrangements that are followed.  In some instances the
guilt the owner feels because of the death of the pet seem to point to an
almost fragile mind-set that perhaps would be better served by a caring
professional therapist, than by long rambling letters posted for the
consumption of mainly strangers.

I can understand how the death of a close pet can drive one to grief, and
that perhaps writing it down can be almost therapeutic.  But I would suggest
that it is then e-mailed to close caring friends, and not to all, when not
all may wish to read it.  I have no wish to read the morbid and sometimes
ghoulish details of how the dead pets urine was clinging to the now cooling
corpse, or how long it takes for the body to stiffen.  Nor am I interested
in the reading of your pets rasping final gasps of life in all the gory
detail.

When the loss of a pet occurs, and it happens to all of us, I am more than
willing to offer my condolences, but if some balance could be used in the
posting of the event, it would be appreciated by the less squeemish of us on
this list.  But like yesterday's example, where we are asked to all pray to
God because if He receives so many requests HE WOULD NOT DARE SAY NO, and
grant nothing short of a miracle, is not realistic.  I cannot speak for
everyone, but in my faith, giving God an "OR ELSE" in a prayer to Him is
just not a prayer.  It is a threat.  And I cannot comply.

I love the stories, poems, tales, and valuable advice that comes with this
ferret-list.  The medical advice is first-rate and will no doubt save the
lives of many ferrets.  But let's try to keep a balance and not offend
others, who although are loving ferret owners, may not share the same, or
any, religious beliefs.  During this holiday season, I have seen my wife cry
twice now while reading this list, and I hate to see her upset missing her
fuzzies that are still quite alive and playful in front of her.  If your
loved pet passes on, of course post the loss, but perhaps some of the grisly
detail could be left out and saved for your more personal e-mail.

I have tried to write this letter as balanced as I could, so as not to
offend.  I am not interested in flames, but of just expressing my own
thoughts on a delicate matter I feel should be addressed.  This is just my
own personal opinion and nothing more.

                                  Regards

                                  Mike Chaput