From:
Kim Hillegas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2011 04:41:12 -0400
No, I'm not a bit confused on what defines a domestic animal. Am well
aware that "domestic" refers to animals developed to live within or
for the domicile of humans. The fact remains that the term "exotic"
is much too subjective.

In other words what defines an exotic animal depends completely upon
the views of the utterer.

There are many non-native animals in the U.S. being sold and bred as
pets; some of these could easily be classified as domestic - others
while bred by humans for the sole purpose of being sold as a "pet" are
in no way "domestic" - Tarantulas, Emperor Scorpions, Leopard Geckos,
Corn snakes, Boas etc come to mind; no way can you construe those
animals to be domestic. Allow any of those animals loose and they'll
easily survive, even set up wild populations in many areas of the U.S.
(especially in the temperate states).

Ferrets HAVE been bred for thousands of years by humans to live with
and serve humans. They were brought to the U.S. before the "U.S." was
even defined - as vermin controllers. If there was a way for them to
succeed in the U.S. as feral animals we'd have seen evidence by now.
New Zealand has a different ecology and if I'm not mistaken ferrets
were purposely introduced to try to naturally eradicate another
introduced species - the rabbit - which was introduced for sport
hunting by the elite. Feral cats present more problems for indigenous
wildlife in New Zealand than ferrets do.

In the U.S. feral cats present a tremendous problem for wildlife,
yet the cat is NOT considered "exotic" and therefore is seen as an
acceptable pet by vegans in the HSUS (and by others). Dogs easily go
feral and resort to instinctive pack behaviors but are considered
domestic and HSUS acceptable pets.

Which was why I commented - who exactly will be defining the term
"exotic" pet that the HSUS admits to want to campaign against? Why
should a group of fanatics be the ones to define exotic? Go to
WIKIPEDIA for the term Vegan and peruse the various definitons.
They can't even agree among themselves what defines being vegan!

From my perspective unless they are out living in the wild foraging
for their own fruits, nuts and berries then they aren't true vegans!
If they are purchasing organic produce, living in a home, driving or
pedaling a vehicle, wearing manufactured clothes, using technology then
they are consuming animals or animal products! Petroleum derives from
long dead animals. Human's roadways, homes, factories and farmlands
destroy animals and their environments. So, unless they live as cave
men or nomads they are simply hypocrits trying to impose their ideals
on others!

They admit to using funds and personnel to influence politicians.
Doesn't take a genius to read between the lines in those admissions.
Read: They BUY votes! I'm not trying to begrudge them their due for
the efforts they've expended against animal tortures, fighting and
abuse. But I definitely don't want them to construe my companions to
be outlawed outcasts!

This exotic pet campaign of theirs needs to be monitored and rebuked
by those of us with so called exotic pets!

Cheers,
Kim