From:
Especially Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:52:21 -0600
There was a question in yesterdays list about shelter playtime that I hope
to answer without getting a beating this week.  At Especially Ferrets Inc.,
in the winter, the kids get out in a complicated way and depending who the
volunteers are.

In intake, we don't know the kids well yet, so they are let out , cage by
cage, and we clean their cage out while they play.  They only stay out for
about 20 minutes at a time and they are not allowed to play in other areas
of the shelter.  In the summer, they are not allowed out in Ferretland
until they are ready for the community room.  They also only stay in intake
for 5 days or until they are switched over to Totally Ferret.

In the community room, some kids have been there for awhile and know other
ferrets and can get along without fighting, so they get out everyday until
they start to wind down and their cages get cleaned while they are out.
They too are confined to play in their room.  In the summer, they get to
stay in Ferretland as long as they want.  Some kids will indicate they want
to go in so we take them in.

The sick room kids get out everyday also, but only cage by cage.  Their is
usually someone in the sick room everyday, all day.

In every room does have its unsociables so they are let out everyday, but
only by themselves.

Occasionally, we will try to place old single ferrets together so they will
have a cage mate.  We always encourage ferrets to go out in pairs to first
time owners, but always try to keep a few young sinle ferrets on hand for
those families that come in as already owners and just wanting to add
another ferret to the family.  We require they bring in their ferrets no
matter how many they own, so as to test compatibility with prospective
ferret.

All ferrets coming into the shelter must be vaccinated for distemper.  We
vaccinate our own ferrets here at the shelter when they come in the door.
If a ferret shows signs of sickness while in intake or comes in sick, it
immediately goes to the sickroom and is isolated.

Hopes this helps.
Hugs,
Ferretguy