From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:28:08 -0600
I wasn't able to pull up the newspaper article.  I did go through the
website.

The pictures look like the ferrets are kept in a clean environment and
the room looks very large.  Anyone in the area that can go visit and find
out if everything is as it seems?

My views may be a little different than those that posted.  If everything
is clean, the ferrets are well cared for and loved, get enough
people/ferret activity, get proper medical care, proper nutritional
foods, and the people are financially stable to care for the ferrets,
then I don't view that any differently than a sort of foster home (for
shelters where the shelter pays all medical expenses), or a hospice/care
home.  As long as the ferrets are well taken care of, happy, and healthy
as can be (given individual circumstances), why not leave them in a care
home?

Many of us have seen what torture/neglect/abuse ferrets are put through.
I can't imagine any shelter hasn't made a bad call on adoptions some time
or another.  I know I have.  Unless one keeps in personal touch with
adopters for the life of the ferrets, there isn't any way to know that
the ferrets are properly cared for and loved for their lifetime.

Not all people with large numbers of animals are collectors/hoarders.  We
each have our individual limits.

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart, F.B.S.
Ferret Family Services