From:
Lisa Carswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 10:32:14 -0500
>I'm not sure that one-one-one, extended 'quality time' is as critical to
>a ferret as it is to a human.  I'm inclined to believe that multiple very
>brief 'quality' seconds are more what the ferret needs.  I think that the
>quality time idea is probably more for us humans than for the ferrets--
>mine seem to be happy and well-socialized, and they clearly don't want
>extended contact, just frequent 'quality seconds.'

I agree with you on this, Jacqueline.  I was worried about having time to
spend with the fuzzies not too long ago, since in addition to a full-time
40 hour a week job, I also teach a few classes part-time for the
university.  Since the teaching requires me to bring home work in the
evenings, I always do my grading and class preparations in the ferret room.
All of the fuzzies will come up to me at some point to see what I'm doing,
and I'll pick them each up and cuddle them for a little bit.

My daughter and I also give them treats every day, and that gives us
another chance to spend some one-on-one time with each ferret.  Each one
gets a dollop of Ferretvite and a few drops of Ferretone...I'll give one
treat and Bronwyn will give the other.  Each fuzzy gets held for a few
seconds while he/she is getting the treat and it makes for a nice bonding
experience.  :)

Dooks,
Lisa
Mom of Zorro, Claudia, Loki, Fezzik, Crysin, and Kyra Monchichi
"Not knowing everything is all that makes it ok, sometimes."
            --Delirium of the Endless
              from Neil Gaiman's _Brief Lives_