From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 1998 12:10:20 -0500
Hi everybody

REPLY TO "SICK FERRET"
Jenna, I suspect that you'll receive quite a few responses to your FML post,
but I'll add mine to the fray as well.

I am very sorry to hear that Vinyl is not feeling well.  Taking a quick look
at the symptoms and treatments you described, I have a few recommendations.
Most importantly, take Vinyl to a ferret-knowledgeable vet.  For a list of
vets in your area, visit
http://www.ferretcentral.org/for-others/db-vets.html.
You might also get in touch with a local ferret club or contact person.  For
a list of people in your area, visit
http://www.ferretcentral.org/for-others/database.html.

Now, regarding Vinyl's symptoms, it is very serious when a ferret ceases to
eat on his own.  Ferrets, being so small, will die fairly quickly if they do
not receive proper nourishment.  This symptom coupled with the weakness and
black, tarry stools that you described suggest that Vinyl may either have an
intestinal blockage or a gastric ulcer.  A good veterinarian will be able to
diagnose the problem.  An intestinal blockage should be visible either via
x-ray or by a barium study.  Treatment of a blockage is ususally surgery.
For more information about gastric ulcers, consult the Gastric Ulcer FAQ at
http://www.ferretcentral.org/faq/med/ulcers.html.

Regarding Vinyl's food, it is imperative that you stop feeding Vinyl
Friskies cat/kitten food.  It does not meet a ferret's nutritional needs.
I know that quality foods are expensive, but they are essential for your
ferret's health.  Look for one of the following: Totally Ferret (available
at http://www.theferretstore.com), Innova Feline (available at
http://www.naturapet.com) or Iams Kitten food (available at most pet
stores).

Regarding litter, do not use clumping litter as it can clump in the nose,
eyes, lungs, and stomach.  Do not use pine or cedar chips as the volatile
oils can cause respiratory and skin disorders.  Clay litter is not
recommended as the dust can cause respiratory trouble and it does not
deodorize well.  I personally recommend deodorizing corn cob litter
(scoop/change regularly to prevent mold), Care Fresh reclaimed wood pulp
litter, pelleted wood litter (e.g.  Natures Way Feline Pine or Stove Chow
pellet stove fuel), or Yesterday's News pelleted newspaper litter.  For
more information about litter, see the Ferret FAQ, Part Litter at
http://www.ferretcentral.org/faq/part2.html#litter

Best wishes-  let us know how Vinyl is doing.
Gina Hart/Sage Ferrets
[log in to unmask] (home-preferred) or [log in to unmask] (work)
Visit the Sage Ferrets web site at
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/2040