From:
"Cheryl Lemmon, FERRET SANCTUARY 1" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2010 13:31:00 -0500
I have stayed out of this argument about the differences between raw
and kibble as I have stayed out of others even though I have had
definite opinions. I would however, like to point out a few things from
the point of view of a research and development chemistry background.

Both sides have interesting points, but both cannot be right. Opinions
are simply that, opinions, and NOT scientific evidence.

I also know that my observations as a shelter mom are not scientific
evidence as well, however, I would like to point out some observations
that I have made and my own person opinion on the matter, from the
point of view of a former research and development chemist, if anyone
would like to hear it.

Most of my shelter ferrets primarily ate kibble, however, I began
giving a raw chicken wing one night to a 10 week old ferret that came
in as a bag of bones with a prolapsed rectum and not digesting his food
(It came out looking the same way it went in 20 minutes after eating!)
He was also chewing on his bedding and newspaper while alone in his
cage. The morning after introducing a raw chicken wing to him in
desperation, I discovered it had completely disappeared. This ferret
now eats a completely raw diet. He will not touch the kibble except
when it is mixed with soup that I give as a treat. He likes the vanilla
flavored Walgreen's brand Ensure plus!

The first thing that I would like to note is the amount of poop
produced by the ferrets that eat some or all raw. There is so much less
of it!!!!!!!!! The ones that eat completely raw have 1/5 the amount of
poop and it looks completely different!

I cannot help but think that we are doing bad things to the ferrets'
digestive tract with the amount of stuff we are putting into them. I
have started putting raw meat into my soup. It cannot be left in the
frig as long as the stuff with the cooked meat, but it is how I have
gotten raw meat into the ferrets that just do not get the raw diet
thing. I think that I have seen far less intestinal/ulcer type issues
than prior to doing this.

Additionally, I would like to comment on cooked meat. It is NOT partly
digested. Cooking/heat destroys nutrients and chemically changes the
meat from what it once was. That is a fact, not an opinion.

Stomach acids, being what they are, acids destroy bacteria rather
quickly. If there is not something for an acid to act upon-bacteria,
raw food, etc, it remains and acid and can therefore possibly act upon
the stomach/intestines. Maybe this has contributed to the problems seen
with ferrets and IBD. I would suspect that the ph in the stomach of
carnivores is lower(more acidic) than that of omnivores simply because
they eat the things they do. It would lbe interesting to see a
scientific study performed on raw vs kibble and IBD. If there is one
out there, please let me know.

Any time that you can have an animal on their most natural diet, you
are doing them a great service health wise. Pet food companies do what
is cheapest for them, not always what is best for the pet. (just like
banks convince us that the 30 year mortgage is great for us when it is
really great for them) I can assure you that numbers can be manipulated
in ways that most people cannot imagine when doing research and making
it seem that black is really white or some other color for that matter.
It is amazing to me how easily the public can be manipulated with just
a few words.

Human nutrition has been shown to be key in some health related issues
as well. I would hope that you would not advocate for feeding chips
and dip to your children simply because it is easier! You are what you
eat-literally! Is not that true for ferrets.

Cheryl
FERRET SANCTUARY 1
757-463-8942