From:
Gerald Eiden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2006 14:54:12 -0500
Thought I'd share this old letter sent 10/13/2004 to my family.  The
further exploits of Popcorn and Nipper.  They both crossed the bridge a
week apart this past April at ages of 10 and 6.  Loved and missed, but
not forgotten.  Here is that letter and hope it will give you a smile.

We had a first here today.  Normally the door to the 1/2 bath on the
first floor, is kept latched during the day to keep the boys from
rummaging in the trash can, etc.  Well Nance or I failed to latch the
door some time during the day.  The next time she went to open the door,
she found it open and water all over the floor in front of the toilet.
Thought one of the cats got into the toilet.  She then heard the rumpling
of the plastic trash bag in the overturned trash can.  Seem the "boys"
somehow managed to climb into the toilet bowl by pushing the overturned
trash can over next to the toilet and went "swimming".  Both of them.

Could one have climbed in and the other one went in to save the other?
Nance said she couldn't believe how much water their fur held.  Managed
to get them part way dried before they took off to one of their hiding
places.

When it came time to put them to bed in their cage, I found them curled
up together in a towel in the old potato drawer under the kitchen
counter.  With the days getting shorter, I try to get them to bed
around dusk.  They sleep till 9 or 10 each morning.  What a rough life.

They run the house during the day and get locked in their cage only at
night.  They would get to stay free all night, but they have the habit of
climbing into bed and trying to clean one's ears.  What a rude awakening,
having a ferret licking your ears in the middle of the night.  Worse yet
is having your toes nipped during a sound sleep.  Who would have thought
that a creature with such short legs could climb with such gusto to some
downright dangerous heights?

In the past, the bathroom door on the second floor is left open, since
nothing is left on the floor for them to get into.  The toilet lid is
kept closed, trash can on top of table, however sometimes the shower
door is left open.  Have seen them climb into the bathtub on occasion.
They do enjoy getting their bath every so often.

Now that cold weather is upon us, that bathroom door is closed as well,
since the house plants that were on the porch, are kept in the bathroom
during winter.  They like to dig, and there's nothing like finding the
planting soil and the plants all over the white bathroom floor.  That
black soil stains Popcorn white fur to a grey white instead of a white
white.  The stinker!

Just thought I would share the "boys" first unauthorized swim with you.

Gerald