From:
Rob Adlers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 09:58:00 PDT
Is this possible? (Dr.?)

I will say right off, that I haven't read anything about this, and don't
know enough to make an educated reply....but it sounds as though Bonnie
isn't happy either physically or mentally. If physically...I have no clue.
Mentally? Hope the below can offer some insight.

I received Gabby from the Humane Society here in Toronto. She was a wee bit
too young to be out there for a month already. No history was available. She
was losing hair abnormally and was a total mental recluse.Being locked in a
cold metal cage with no blankets, and newspaper dipped in your water bowl
and cats all around you meowing for a month would probably freak you out as
well. She focused only on her nose and nothing else, and was as tense as a
rock - So much that her walking looked like her legs were crossed and had to
go to the bathroom.

After I brought Gabby home, Gabby ate and ate and ate. Furr began to grow,
and the weight increased. Problem: still mentally distanced from Mindy and I
and still tense as a rock. She didn't run, play, nothing...Just ate, walked
around chattering, and slept. Mindy's attempts to play were replied with
lying on her back and waiting until Mindy was finished tugging her
around...and then continue on walking. Mindy was NEVER like this.

I read about the TLC case that Dr. William's (I believe) posted about the
other ferret who didn't eat,etc....and recovery was all the loving that
ferret could take.

I thought...."well....Gabby's being fed, Mindy and I are trying hard to get
her to play, she has run of the house, and she's got all the petting and
caring attention I could give her.... what's missing that hasn't brought her
out of this?"

Then it occurred to me. Walk! I haven't taken her for a walk yet! I took her
for a walk in a quite grass area outside my apartment on the leash that
night.

My Gabby woke up. She ran for the first time since I had her. She played in
the dirt and grass....she wanted to explore! She actually acknowledged my
presence.

Now I wake up in the morning to body slams on my leg with war dancing to
boot....and Mindy now has a sparring partner as well.  She couldn't be
happier with Gabby fighting back.  She participates in all activities...
explores, and does what any other happy furrball would do.  And she comes
out to greet me when I get home.

Why I make the comparison? You mentioned Stress.
I accidentally locked Gabby in the upper drawer of my dresser one Saturday
morning recently....to find her there at 1:00 am Sunday while frantically
looking for her.  She was gone again.  Tense as a rock and distant.

A little recovery with major food, hugs, rest and Mindy made her realize all
was OK again and she was fine.

I hope your new addition to the family will offer support as much as Mindy
helped me. She provided constant companionship to Gabby when I was at work.
My experience might not be what's going on with poor Bonnie there, but if
any of it helps - cool.

Rob Adlers