From:
Mary Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 08:18:41 -0600
Wheeler's most favorite thing in the whole wide world was sleeping.  He
was an only ferret before he ended up at the shelter.  He was 5 years old,
already had adrenal surgery and a cyst removed when we adopted him (along
with 7 others all at the same time, whew).  We went from 2 ferrets to 10
(after we lost 1), but everyone adjusted OK (well most).  He and Chico
agreed to disagree.  He would pick on poor Fruity an elderly sickly ferret.
He would chase the girls.  He wasn't much for treats other than ferretone
and a little banana every now and then.  He loved the cats' food (of
course).  Even in the short time we had him he stole our hearts.

I was so exhausted (emotionally drained) from taking care of him all day
knowing that he was dying.  Rob and I took turns watching and holding him.
I lied down on the couch and put him on my chest (all snuggled in a
blankie) to watch TV.  I fell asleep and when I woke up he was gone.  He
crossed the bridge around 11:00 Saturday night.  I know he's better off,
but that still doesn't stop the tears.  He went downhill so fast.  I never
expected Fruity to outlive him.  Ya just never know how long you have with
them.  That's why we were up to 15.  Every time I would lose one we would
get more, but I just can't this time.  I just hope that in the year that we
had him we gave him enough love and care to make up for any poor care in
his younger years.

He's the one I posted about last week asking about neurological problems.
When I noticed he had tremors in his front legs when you picked him up we
took him to the vet.  X-rays didn't show anything.  After we got the blood
test results back the glucose was 60 so we put him on pred.  Globulin was
high but everything else was normal.  If it was insulinoma, he never showed
any classic signs.  Have you ever heard or experienced this where they
don't show any signs or have tremors?

We buried him Sunday with Rowdy in a special place.  I think it's going to
become the ferret garden.  He's now at the bridge playing with Rowdy and
Tundra (Tunny-Bear).

Mary and The 14 Munchkins (missing Wheeler)
Chico, Sadie, Harley, Daisy, Woozel, Pooh, Oliver, Funny, Buffy, Summer,
Fruity, Emily, Bootsie and Scooter