From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:14:14 -0500
OK, since this was originally my idea, here's what I'd like to do.

First I would like to call the award the "FML Ferret Hero of the Year",
rather than Man, Woman or Person.  And I want it for the Year, rather than
Century or Millenium, because I don't want to wait 100 or 1000 years to do
it again!

For 1999, we will have just one winner.  But in future years, I would like
to suggest categories, such as Health, Education, Sheltering, etc.  I'll
solicit more input on that later.

I've heard three serious nominations for FML 1999 Ferret Hero of the Year.
Here they are, listed not so seriously (because that's the kind of mood I'm
in now!), but with great respect and reverence in my heart:

* Dr. Charlie Weiss: He has had his hands in more ferrets' insides than a
  pickpocket in purses.  The ferrets and their owners come away healthier
  and happier.  He also tells other vets how to do it too in journal
  articles, phone calls, email and video.

* Bob Church: He regales us with learned discourses on everything from
  ferret diet to bone structure to domesticity (how often they wash the
  dishes and make the bed), teaching us how to be better ferret caregivers
  in the process.

* Bill Gruber: Bill spends his nights hunched over his computer to feed the
  insatiable appetites for ferrety tibits for some 3000 ferret fanatics.
  (That's us folks!) His parenting skills at keeping 3000 siblings from
  fighting is legendary.

I will take additional nominations until November 30.  Nominations must be
made by posting to the FML and will only be accepted if there are at least
2 seconds.  In early December I will post the final list of candidates.  I
will also post an email address to send your votes to and complete voting
instructions.  Ballots will be accepted until January 1, 2000.

Ballots should have the name of the candidate in the subject field to make
for easier counting.  To prevent ballot stuffing, the body of the message
should contain the sender's name and city, state, country of residence.  I
do not plan to look at this information unless I have concerns about the
validity of the ballot.  ONE VOTE PER FML MEMBER PLEASE!  If I get more
than 3069 emails, I will be suspicious!  (Any suggestions of a better way
to do this?)

At this point, I do not plan to look at votes until Jan 1 or later.  I will
try to find another FMLer to help me count the votes.  The winner will be
announced as soon as the tally is complete.

IMPORTANT NOTE!!  I've thought about this a lot, but am no expert.  If
anyone has any suggestions how to make this better, more fair, more fun
or easier, PLEASE let me know.

Also, I will be posting separately about a possible award plaque or
whatever.

Linda Iroff
Oberlin Ohio USA