From:
Diane Wall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:01:20 -0400
>From:    Rachel Zuckerman <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I was wondering if anyone else has run into a problem like this: My
>fiancE was trying to get renters' insurance today and was turned down.
>The reason: we have ferrets....

Hi Rachel (and everyone)-

I am a mortgage underwriter and deal with obtaining home owner's and
renters (for condo buyers) insurance everyday.

As well I have lived in a mobile home previously and had to get mobile
home insurance.

What this insurance company is telling you is hog wash.  They clearly
don't understand (or care) that ferrets are classified as "domesticated
companion animals" and therefore fall under the category with cats,
birds and fish.  The only change in them asking "animal questions" is
that they do now have to check a "vicious dog" list.

In order to really be sure that you and your ferrets are covered, my
insurance company required that I keep on hand all state mandated
requirements (in Massachusetts, copies of your rabies and distemper
vaccinations) and because I had more than 2 ferrets as well as a screened
front door that I opened in the summer, I was required to post a "Beware
of Ferrets" sign (similar to what a dog owner would need to do).  Funny
as it sounds, I got one from The Ferret Store and posted it in the front
window.

I'm guessing that you are in Massachusetts from the looks of your email.

Feel free to contact me directly as I'm in Massachusetts also.  Check out
the website for: <http://www.maferrets.org/>

Sincerely,
Diane Wall