From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 02:14:40 -0400
Thanks for your comments, Kevin, as it gives me an opportunity to
discuss this in futher detail. I welcome more discussion on the issue
as I think it's an important one to ferrets and the people who own
them.

Over time my views have evolved. I've found respectful debate is
invigorating and positive. PLEASE let's avoid flames. After tonight,
any reply from me may have to wait until my return from Ohio next week.
But will take a stab now...

First. No, I sincerely do not view breeders as villains. Actually early
on in my ferret "career" I thought about breeding. I have some very
good friends who were breeders :). and, most importanlty, I truly hope
there are no ferrets kept by any breeder (or non-breeder) under the
conditions these animals lived!

Second. I don't quite understand your comment "People go to breeders
for far different reasons than they go to shelters, and I really don't
think the clientèle is the same for both groups." I am rather puzzled
as to why?

Third. I'm a numbers person. Hence, I do believe that the DM situation
is a national issue. Clearly it is more critical the closer one is
geographically aka the butterfly effect: Everything has an effect and
sometimes in ways we can barely imagine. What happens in Ohio DOES
effect the entire ferret community - 750 animals and their ensuing
off-spring until neutered are entering the "market" and need homes.
That is a LOTof ferrets to absorb. The ripple may lessen over distance;
but there is still an effect. And what is wrong with providing support?

Fourth. Am not sure why you suggest lack of sales was behind the DM
surrender? I wish it were that simple. (Flames expected again!) But I
don't -think- there is anything inherently wrong with the DM line -
other than what I understand is lack of lineage records. The issue was
CONDITIONS. Given proper housing, record-keeping, etc, the size of his
operation stood a chance at being a breeding model, rather than a
pariah.

Going to send two posts or I will hit the FML limit, I think! (help
BIG if I do!)
[and here's part two!...]

Fifth. Your comment "if private ferret breeders are not breeding for
the right reasons -- to produce better-quality ferrets across a series
of generations and create a product demonstrably worth paying a premium
for -- then they don't deserve to be in operation, and that's true
regardless of how full shelters are."

I agree with you 100%!!! But how does one demonstrate value and worth?
Wouldn't it take years of breeding records and lots of statistics? Am
not an actuary but statistics require either volume or longevity or a
combination of both to show trends and affect. There are no shortcuts,
or issues like the 2 biggies, adrenal disease and insulinoma, would be
history.

Any reputable ferret breeder should have health and longevity as
breeding goals. What else would a ferret breeder want? Bless them for
taking on the effort. Like sheltering, the details are a thankless job!

But looking at the need for data. I wonder how breeders keep track
of health/longevity results? Do they follow up with buyers for that
history? People are really undependable - - - - how do you get buyers
to send you the information your breeding program needs? Through
incentives like refunds or rebates? Health bill payments? How realistic
is that and how feasible? Tough to really direct your breeding program,
I'd think that information would be crucial.

The more I thought about what was needed as a potential breeder, I felt
it was MORE responsibility than I was willing to take on. Sheltering
seemed easy! At least it wasn't MY fault!

I am quite confident serious and committed breeders today are trying
the best they can. If they aren't then I, as a buyer paying a premium,
would wonder what I was paying for. ;) (okay, more flames expected).

But without that information, I would be taking a leap of faith and
supporting a breeder I felt was on the right path. When I purchased
a ferrets from breeder I did just that! It was a leap of faith and
feeling they were trying their level best. We stayed in touch -- they
cried when I cried.

PLEASE breeders, do not misconstrue. I want ferrets living as long as
possible. I want every ferret to have a home. I want folks like Kevin
to feel they are supporting shelters AND breeders with a defined
mission. BOTH deserve 100% of the ferret community's support.

That is probably a bigger challenge than just asking breeders to back
off a bit over this particular situation.

Ann Gruden
President
Ferret Association of CT, Inc.